Advice, please -- Button Quail hatched with deformed foot.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Denninmi, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I was hatching a batch of button quail eggs, the last hatched this afternoon after pipping last night.

One of them has an undersized, apparently deformed foot and leg, actually. It is about half of the normal size, with toes tightly clenched straight forward and sort of clubbed together.

It isn't making any effort at all to use this foot and leg. It is moving around as fast as the rest, eating and drinking well, and seems otherwise perfectly fine. It just sort of tilts to the the bad side as it moves, kind of like a car running on a flat tire.

It is my opinion that this bird would probably be just fine like this. Assuming nothing else is wrong with it, shouldn't it be able to lead a normal life with acceptable quality. It obviously won't face the pressures found in the wild, since it will live its life in either my spare bedroom or family room, with constant care, food, water, shelter, and companionship.'

Should I just not worry about this?

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Im sure some would say cull but if its nothing too serious and it seems to have a good quality of life I would leave it as it is. Just keep a close eye to make sure its not getting picked on by the others. Congratulations on your babies [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Delta3013

Delta3013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Harker Heights, TX
    He should be just fine. My frizzle hen had a compound fracture in her foot, so she gimps now. Funny thing is, she runs the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by