Advice please-comb drooping, lethargic and loss of appetite. Lying on front in dirt. Eyes closing. Can’t seem to stand on own.

Ferret

Hatching
Jan 20, 2021
My favourite rescue chicken who we first collected around 3 years of age and we have had for 4 1/2 years, has become ill. 2 days ago I noticed her comb start to droop. Yesterday she didn’t come running when called-she is the head chicken and always comes first and gets to eat first.
We have only 3 chickens and this one is like a pet who will come and sit on my lap and fall asleep. The other two will not.
This morning she did not come for door at all and just sat where she was. She didn’t eat any scratch mix when it was put out.
Later today I found her in a hole (dug by another chicken) under a tree with her face in the dirt. When I picked her and put her down she did not stand, merely slid onto her side. I’ve brought her inside and she is “sleeping” on a dogs bed. Her breathing is long breaths. She’s not moving at all and I can’t get her to eat. Occasionally she opens her eye to check me out. She seems to still really like me Patting her.
Can anyone help? I’ve read about the symptoms of diseases but really it could be anything!
I also have two young children and want to make sure they will be okay too. Miss4 loves to kiss her all over....
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 5C347957-422C-4F08-B038-10FA086D22AF.jpeg
    5C347957-422C-4F08-B038-10FA086D22AF.jpeg
    437.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Has she layed an egg recently? Any mucus or wheezing?
I'm afraid there not much that can be done at this point, I'm sorry. I'd be surprised if she lives through the night.
However, I wouldn't worry about your kids getting anything from her, though letting your kids kiss them is very nasty and not something I'd recommend.
Chickens poop in dirt.
They also bathe in dirt.
get the picture?:sick

Has she lost any weight? Does her crop empty overnight? What do you feed them (treats included)? Has she pooped at all, and if so what was it normal? I'm really sorry she's sick :hugsUnfortunately if she is not responsive she probably doesn't have much time left.

Has she lost any weight? Does her crop empty overnight? What do you feed them (treats included)? Has she pooped at all, and if so what was it normal? I'm really sorry she's sick :hugsUnfortunately if she is not responsive she probably doesn't have much time left.
Yes it seems she has lost weight and her crop is small.

T
Thankyou. I think you are right, birds are great at hiding symptoms until too late... chooks eat left over/scraps and scratch mix, plus are “free-range” in our small backyard.they get occasional cat biscuits and dried mealworms. They’ve gotten oats lately.
my neighbour had her whole place sprayed for bugs, including the gardens and lawns2 days ago and I wonder if that may have contributed....
There are also lots of muddy puddles around atm which she may have drank from. So many things....

She's an old girl and it sounds like her time has come. :hugs
If you've gotten her to 7.5 years old you've taken great care of her and she's been a happy much loved chicken. Take heart in that. If you think she is suffering, you can euthanize her. There are many ways to do that. I've not had to do it myself yet but when the time comes I will try this method.

Than
She's an old girl and it sounds like her time has come. :hugs
If you've gotten her to 7.5 years old you've taken great care of her and she's been a happy much loved chicken. Take heart in that. If you think she is suffering, you can euthanize her. There are many ways to do that. I've not had to do it myself yet but when the time comes I will try this method.
kyou doe your kind words. She passed during the night and I cuddled her.
she will be well missed.

Back
Top Bottom