Advice please on chicken no longer laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pommie Chick, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Pommie Chick

Pommie Chick Out Of The Brooder

Hi all

I wonder if you could pass on some wisdom to me :)

I have 2 Orpington chickens who, as soon as the spring arrive both went broody. I managed to get them unbroody pretty quickly but they weren't laying.

A few weeks later I took in 2 young ISA brown chickens, who had been slightly debeaked (pulled on my heart strings so I decided to give them a good home)

I kept them separate from my 2, and it was about 2 days after I got the new girls I noticed that my existing girls were looking a bit poorly. On investigation I realised that they both had lice. So treated them, treated the new girls as well (they were clean so weren't the culprits for the lice infestation)

Anyhow, all the girls are now together and doing well. One of my Orpingtons started relaying a couple of weeks ago. Production is a bit lower. The other Orpington is still not laying. it's been about 2 months since they first got broody. I know it can take a while to restart laying, but I have noticed that she no longer does the "squat" when I go near her. She does seem to be the higher ranking chicken in the pecking order.

Any ideas as to what maybe happening with her?

She's healthy, eating, drinking, pooping well. Nice red comb and wattles. So no other health issues.

Thanks!!

Mel

2. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

She may be deciding to take a break until spring.

3. Pommie Chick

Thanks for your reply, but we're already 2 months into spring here so I don't think that's the issue.

Cheers
    Mel

4. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Well then.
    It may be some disease. If that is the case, I am of no help.

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    How old are the Orpingtons?

6. Pommie Chick

Hi

They are about 15 months old.

Thanks

7. Gypsi

Gypsi Chillin' With My Peeps

At 15 months they are just due to molt pretty soon. I would increase protein and calcium in their diet to get them off to a good start on the process.

8. Pommie Chick

Ahh, that would make sense. I did think about moult, but then dismissed it as I thought it was more of an autumn time of year they moulted. Would explain why she hasn't come back into lay.

I've never kept Orpingtons before, and this is my first time keeping chickens since moving from the UK to Oz, so its all bit different here lol.

What would be the best way to increase their protein?

Cheers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by