Advice please regarding humidity for a staggered hatch in a Sportsman

Chic-n-farmer

Showers of Blessings
11 Years
Jul 24, 2008
Clark CO. IL 25 Chicken Years
I carefully planned when I bought hatching eggs. Both orders were due to arrive at the same time. I never intended to have a staggered hatch.

Order #1 arrived when expected.

Order #2 still had not arrived by Saturday so I put #1 in the incubator.

Order #2 sat in the state it was mailed from for FOUR days. (The order was mailed on Monday and I got it on Tuesday..... 8 days later!)

I put order #2 in the incubator 4 days after order #1.

Here is my question:

Will increasing the humidity for the first hatch damage the chances of the second hatch?

I have ran the humidity at 50-55%

One sponge in the humidity tray increased the humidity to 72%

I want to give all the eggs the best chance possible. We lost ALL of our adult flock last week to a dog attack. We really need these hatches for a morale booster. My 12 year old was absolutely crushed by the loss. ( and yeah, I cried myself into a migraine.)

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Last edited:
Increased humidity doesn't hurt the unhatched eggs. I just hatched eggs staggered from 3 days apart to 21 days apart & had no problems with humidity. I just bumped it up for the ones hatching, then let it go back down after each hatch.
As long as you let each hatch finish completely before opening the door, it shouldn't hurt.
I kept mine around 35-40% when none were in lockdown, & 55-65% during lockdowns.
I hatched 19/19 of my own eggs, 13/15 eggs from chickenzoo, 11/13 from fancbrd4me, and 4/5 from Cloverleaf... all staggered on different dates.

Incubate for batch #1 and let the others take their chances. they already have strikes against them, trying to make up for them will only cause stress on those that are on schedule.. Basically play the odds. Best of luck.

Thanks. I appreciste the help.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom