Advice please - runner duck eggs pipping on day 19

On another note. Is the crack like a little dimple going outwards? That is how a pip should look like.
It's not like a long line of a crack. That could be a sign of an egg getting ready to explode or leak. Bad egg usually do that the week prior to piping.
I hope its not a bad egg.
I would candle them, just to be one save side.
Also once it pips you will hear a tapping sound from inside of the egg. Eggs usually hatch 24-48 hours from the time of piping.

Last edited:
I got a reply from the breeder, and she said that if the weather is hot then the hatching will happen earlier. She has known pipping to take place earlier than day 25 in her eggs.

The crack is like a stone chip on a car windshield, i.e. a central point with lines radiating outwards. 2 of the lines are long and go around the end of the egg, but do not meet. There is no hole yet, i.e. not broken through shell.

Broody hen sits religiously all day and night so the eggs are kept pretty warm. I have to take her off every day to make sure she gets food and water. We have had some cool days but also some very hot ones (for England that is!) Today is going to be around 85 degrees.

Checked this morning, and the same as yesterday. I did try candling a couple of days ago (before I saw cracks) but could only see dark blob and air sac at end. Could not make anything else out. No cheeping, squeaking, tapping or other noise coming from eggs.

Update: Eggs still the same today, no progress on further cracks or pips so that is good news I guess.

Damped down the turf in the nest again today to help keep the humidity high. Is there anything else I should do to maximise the survival rate?

I guess I have to trust mummy hen to do the job right. We are having pretty hot weather here in the UK at the moment.

Oh how exciting, im eager to know if anything happened, and I must say what a good choice picking runners, I have 6 and I love them
big_smile.png
there so comical. Oh please keep us posted
smile.png

Omg, just read your post I also have runner duck eggs from ebay. Mine are due to hatch 30/6 just done a quick candle and they've pipped through the air sac! I had 2 runner duck eggs that were fertile and 1 cayuga and only the runner ducks have done it do you know the name of the seller?
hu.gif

Thanks Teresa. I will keep the post updated - today is day 21 and I can report that there is no news! Perhaps no news is good news!

Since the cracks do not go through the membrane, I am hoping that the eggs are not evaporating any fluid inside - would they still have fluid or is the baby filling it up yet?

I would love to see pics of your runner ducks Teresa. Can you also advise me as to whether they are easy to tame? Since mine will be raised by a chicken, I am keen to ensure they are very human friendly and plan to handle them as much as I can. Are there any tips or tricks you can recommend for taming them? I don't know if you ever had this issue, if you incubated or bought them as older ducklings or what, but I would be grateful for any advice from you or anyone else with experience.

EJ

Back
Top Bottom