Advice Please! Update Duck With Limp

JenLedger

In the Brooder
May 25, 2022
I posted about a week ago but only received 1 uncertain response. Can someone weigh in? I have a 1 year old, female Cayuga, good weight

UPDATE to BELOW: We started a pulling salve as well. The swelling is down some and she’s walking on it a bit more. It’s still pretty swollen though. The ankle area and base of toe is pretty swollen still. There is a spot that looks a little darker and scabby. Should I cut that out or just continue with the soaking? (2 photos at start, 1 with swelling starting to ease.)

ORIGINAL POST: One of my female cayuga's has been limping for around about 1 week. There have been no signs of an open wound and no other ducks are limping. I am including photos. Her toe is swollen but doesn't have the big black scab that would make me think bumblefoot. It is super warm to the touch so I am thinking about infection though. It is much warmer and swollen than the other foot. There is a bit of a scabby area on the one swollen toe. I am happy to lance that and see if it is infected. I don't see a specific bumble type area though. I am worried I would not get the issue without that specific spot to cut out.

She is eating, pooping and drinking well. They generally free range during the day and would be on all types of surfaces. The run and coop have straw though. We started confining her to the straw lined run last week. It seemed to help a little but now she is worse. We have been soaking the foot for 20 minutes 2x a day the last two days. We are using epsom salt and iodine. Then spraying with wound care and wrapping the foot to keep it dry. A vet visit would be $170, wow. This is a farm duck. I would like to treat her as humanly but as inexpensively as possible. I worked at a vet clinic for 5 years, just not on ducks. I'm not squeamish. Thank you so much for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_6293.jpeg
    IMG_6293.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6292.jpeg
    IMG_6292.jpeg
    661.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1606.jpeg
    IMG_1606.jpeg
    398.4 KB · Views: 3
I posted about a week ago but only received 1 uncertain response. Can someone weigh in? I have a 1 year old, female Cayuga, good weight

UPDATE to BELOW: We started a pulling salve as well. The swelling is down some and she’s walking on it a bit more. It’s still pretty swollen though. The ankle area and base of toe is pretty swollen still. There is a spot that looks a little darker and scabby. Should I cut that out or just continue with the soaking? (2 photos at start, 1 with swelling starting to ease.)

ORIGINAL POST: One of my female cayuga's has been limping for around about 1 week. There have been no signs of an open wound and no other ducks are limping. I am including photos. Her toe is swollen but doesn't have the big black scab that would make me think bumblefoot. It is super warm to the touch so I am thinking about infection though. It is much warmer and swollen than the other foot. There is a bit of a scabby area on the one swollen toe. I am happy to lance that and see if it is infected. I don't see a specific bumble type area though. I am worried I would not get the issue without that specific spot to cut out.

She is eating, pooping and drinking well. They generally free range during the day and would be on all types of surfaces. The run and coop have straw though. We started confining her to the straw lined run last week. It seemed to help a little but now she is worse. We have been soaking the foot for 20 minutes 2x a day the last two days. We are using epsom salt and iodine. Then spraying with wound care and wrapping the foot to keep it dry. A vet visit would be $170, wow. This is a farm duck. I would like to treat her as humanly but as inexpensively as possible. I worked at a vet clinic for 5 years, just not on ducks. I'm not squeamish. Thank you so much for your help!

I'm sorry, I have no vet experience with ducks, but how is she doing?

The toe is less swollen. She’s more active but still limping. She still eating well. We are still soaking it and putting the salve on.
How is your duck doing?

I have a 6 or 7 ish year old Cayuga duck and she's got a bad limp, she does have bumblefoot but I'm not quite sure it's why she's got so much discomfort and limps as bad as she does. Her feet aren't like what your duck has/had going on.

Back
Top Bottom