Advice, please.

Stephanie_VA

In the Brooder
Nov 23, 2017
Chesapeake, VA
I am new to keeping chickens. I joined here several months ago in order to educate myself before actually getting my chicks. Well, I bought 6 black sex linked chicks last month. I was actually only going to get 4, but I found out when I got to Tractor Supply that state law mandates no sales of less than 6. So, I bought 6, thinking perhaps 1 or 2 wouldn't survive. That didn't happen. I still have all 6 and they're doing just fine. They're about the size of small crows now, nearly fully feathered out. I am setting up their tractor in the backyard and intend to move them out next weekend. The problem is that the tractor isn't large enough for 6. It'll probably do ok for the time being. But, it's not big enough for 6 full sized hens. Only 4. So, I need to reduce my flock by 2. My question, which is better, culling for table fare or selling them after they get a little bigger? I can do either. I already keep meat rabbits, so I am able to cull a chicken just as well. But, I'm thinking it would make better sense financially to sell near laying sized pullets.

Well I'm vegetarian so I might not be much help on the culling side but I've heard that backyard chickens have lots of muscles making their meat more rubbery. If you are going to cull them, my friends told me they put them in the betty crocker for a few hours. :idunno I think it would probably be better to sell them unless you're wanting to eat them I imagine it would be hard getting rid of backyard chicken meat unless you have dogs I think that would make quite a treat or you could turn the meat into dog/chicken treats. However depending on where you live selling laying hens will probably get you some money. My advice think about what you would do with the meat and look at the local prices for a laying hen and then decide.
Hope I helped
-Chick2chicken

I would also suggest you sell them. By the time they are big enough to get any meat from them your coop would be too cramped. I am sure you can find someone who can use a couple pullets. Maybe see if you have a local live stock auction, that is where I take my extra birds.

Here pullets bring at least $15 each, I can get a chicken dressed out and cooked, hot, ready to dig into for $6. Way less work, I sell any extra pullets, and include a rooster with them..

Either way, up to you.
You might try selling them at point of lay,
or even earlier as 'started pullet chicks' once they are off heat.

You can eat them too, I eat all my cockerels by 13-16 weeks, while still tender and before they start causing trouble. Not much meat on them and yes, it's more toothsome than a fryer or grocery bird, but still flavorful.
I grill the cockerels, for that crispy skinned goodness, then use the bones to make stock in the pressure cooker.

One thing very important thing to remember, let the cleaned carcass rest in the fridge for 48-72 hours for rigor mortise to pass before cooking or freezing or the meat will be more than just toothsome, it may be inedible.

Back
Top Bottom