Advice please

Quote:
I think it a wise choice to hold off on the heat for all the above posted reasons. We have had some below 0* nights here last year and had no problems with the girls. We have no insulation in the coop but do have the sidewalls sealed good.

You mentioned your coop is "vented at the top" which is good,but do you have eave vents or some other method for creating the "chimmney effect" required to make effective venting and draw the moisture out of the coop? Without the "flow-through" ventilation you do not get rid of the moisture and smells.

Hi,

I wasn't going to heat my coop as per a lot of the advice on the forum, but as my coop is small and I only have 4 chickens, I didn't think they would produce enough heat themselves. So, I bought "sweeter heater" off e-bay and attached it to the roof of the coop (2'X2'X3') just over where they roost. It is plugged into a thermocube which is plugged into a regular outlet. It will only go on when it get's below 7 degrees celcius ( I dunno what that is in fahrenheit - a bit above freezing?). Keeps them warm but not too warm that it is a shock when they go outside to scratch around, and there is no light given off. So far so good.

Michelle

Oh - as for venting...I have cutout holes near the top of the coop and have a computer fan over one of the holes to draw out stale/moist air.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom