1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Advice please....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ButtersMama, Dec 30, 2012.

1. ButtersMama

ButtersMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    I would like suggestions...I'm going to order 6 chicks. I've had experience with feather picking. Seems the Black sexlinks are the ones who war the problem. Since giving them away to a larger farm, we no longer have the problems. Can you suggest good layers, mild mannered chickens?

Thanks!

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Buff Orpingtons are very sweet.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    My buffs are sweet as well. Really the only birds I have found to be mean to other birds have been a couple of RIRs and an ancona and a newly arrived gold-laced wyandotte. I think you can find very diverse opinions on this - many swear as gentle, the breeds I mentioned as mean - every bird is different!

4. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    The only chicken I have found to be mean is a Gold lace Wyandotte Rooster. I have had four and everyone was very mean. The only time I have come across mean hens is when they are bored or over crowded. I have had RIR and must say they are the fistest of all the chickens I have had and I will not buy them again, but I'm into the more rare breeds and special ones.

5. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Langshans are extremely nice and are great layers for a PB breed and they lay through winter and they have feathery feet[​IMG].
    But if you want a prolific layer I'd try the sex-links again as each individual is different, maybe try the white or red ones this time. I think color has great significances on which chickens make friends with who, but there are exceptions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by