Advice Please!

Farmgirlpants

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 20, 2013
Michigan
Hi! I'm new to this site and and raising my first set of Peking ducks. We got 4 of the cute little buggers last Saturday. My son who is four and has been playing with them non stop has developed the flu. We have been washing our hands and being very sanitary. But it has raised a few questions that I am having a hard time finding answers to. Can ducks transfer any type illness to children? If you have knowledge or could post any articles that word be greatly appreciated.

Hi! I'm new to this site and and raising my first set of Peking ducks. We got 4 of the cute little buggers last Saturday. My son who is four and has been playing with them non stop has developed the flu. We have been washing our hands and being very sanitary. But it has raised a few questions that I am having a hard time finding answers to. Can ducks transfer any type illness to children? If you have knowledge or could post any articles that word be greatly appreciated.
As far as I know only Salmonella can be transferred, and like you said hand washing is a must with children,
welcome-byc.gif
just thought I'd give ya a link that is very good reading. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited:
The following diseases in birds which are of reasonable significance include: Chlamydiosis (Psittacosis) , Salmonellosis, Campylobacteriosis, New Castles Disease, Allergic Alveolitus, Mycobacteriosis (Avian Tuberculosis), Influenza, Giardia, and Cryptosporidiosis. In most cases, those most at risk are people with weakened immune systems, such as children and the elderly. I seriously doubt this has happened in your case, it sounds more like a coincidence. If you want to search more, search zoonotic diseases.....they're diseases that can be transmitted from animals to humans.

Clint

Does he attend school? that is where my kids bring most stuff home. My children have been raised around animals their entire lives and i mean of significant quantity, now i am not saying things cannot be transferred as other posters have listed but generally well kept animals and normal contact should be fine.

I'm sure it's from school. As a kid I grew up with baby ducks and played with turtles all day every day! I'm certain I never washed my hand and my parents only gave me a bath on Sundays!!!! Lol! Just came to mind due to coincidence in the timing. Thank you for your replies. :)

Back
Top Bottom