Advice regarding an increasingly aggressive hen?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by naturegrrl, Oct 31, 2009.

1. naturegrrl

naturegrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I have a flock of three birds (2 BBs and a Buckeye) that I got as day-olds, and early on they established a clear but amenable pecking order: Ghoti got to push everyone around most days, Kitty was very nonconfrontational but would put the smack-down on Ghoti when Ghoti got too uppity, and Princess was the baby of the bunch - both BBs bossed her (mostly stealing food), but always took care of her, never beat her up. There was never any actual pecking - just occasional food-stealing, shoving, or flapping.

Now, however, Kitty has begun to lay, and Ghoti has begun to pick on her relentlessly, regularly chasing her and pecking her about the head. She hasn't yet drawn blood or pulled feathers, and she doesn't pick on Princess at all. I suppose I'm not too worried yet, given the lack of actual injury, but I'm curious to know if anyone else has observed previously mild dominant birds get more hostile after others start laying (Ghoti hasn't started laying yet), and if anyone has any advice on minimizing aggressive tendencies.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Ah, teenage hormones. With a little luck, this behavior will slow down or stop as they all come into lay and their hormones get adjusted.

You could try pushing her away or a water squirt bottle when you see the behavior. Glad there has been no blood. Hope it will take care of itself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by