1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ADVICE using LARD instead of shortening??? in my sugar cookies

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by honeydoll, Dec 19, 2009.

1. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    Hey all you wonderful BYC cooks. I need some advice. As many of you are doing here on BYC, I am trying to go back to a more natural way of eating. I want ot use lard this year in my cookies instead of crisco. How do I do this? Also will it change the taste alot or not. I love my sugar cookie recipe. Will it make them real crispy or more tender. I also read online the lard I buy from the store is hydrogenated too, is this true? If it is it defeats the purpose I guess. But I hear lard makes things taste better. I am a little nervous using this for my Christmas cookies so am looking for anyone who uses lard to give some advice. If it changes the taste a lot I would like to know. THanks.

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    If you've been using butter flavor cristco, the cookies will lack the butter flavor that sugar cookies should have. Lard makes a good pie crust, but i'm not sure about sugar cookies.

3. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    Thats all that we used to have and our cookies were good

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by