advice?

kjk66ss

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 18, 2011
chatsworth,ca
hey everyone,

after only 2 chicks hatching(one with deformed head) out of 42 shipped eggs.

i decided to pick up a dozen eggs that are local. picking them up tomorrow.

6 light bramah's and 6 RIR.

question #1: how should i clean my foam type genisiss 1588? with out damaging the electronics?

#2; when my 2 chicks hatched they rolled the other eggs in lockdown ALL over the place ,and were constant at rolling them around. so can this next batch be placed into a egg carton from the store? or be left into the turner ? or any other options you folks have for me on this issue?

thanks Kevin

I am not familiar with this incubator, but, you can usually wash it down with a diluted bleach water and rinse well with clear water.

I hatch in egg cartons due to the 'soccer ball' factor chicks tend to do. No turner.

question #1: how should i clean my foam type genisiss 1588? with out damaging the electronics?

I've never had a problem with the top of my 1588 getting "dirty", but then I've never had an exploding egg. I try not to think about those things. The top part of mine around the electronics is not foam but clear plastic. I carefully wipe that down with a mild dishwashing soap solution, being careful not to get too close to the electronics. The plastic tray where you put the water takes the worst of the mess, along with that wire screen. Those and the bottom get a washing with soap and water and a mild bleach solution, followed by a good rinse, then air dried. The foam is harder to clean than a hard plastic incubator, but mine has not been that bad.

#2; when my 2 chicks hatched they rolled the other eggs in lockdown ALL over the place ,and were constant at rolling them around. so can this next batch be placed into a egg carton from the store? or be left into the turner ? or any other options you folks have for me on this issue?

I personally don't worry about them being rolled around. I know some people feel that they have had chicks die because of that, and I have had some pip and not completely hatch, but I'm not convinced that was because of the rolling. I've had some that pipped before any others hatched out to roll them around and those did not hatch either. They looked exactly the same. I think there are some that are just not going to make it, but you will find people that disagree with me.

Some people take an egg carton and cut out the bottom of the pockets so they get good air circulation. Leave them pointy side down so the air pocket is up top. I would not use the turner, partly to make cleanup easier and partly because there are some places a chick could get its leg caught. Why make it harder on yourself or take a chance when you don't need to?

I usually was my incubator out with bleach and dish soap. Never leave the eggs in the turner on lockdown ( the last few days of incubation). I just let my chicks walk around and take them out when dry.

I would use a removable liner in that model. Make one if you cannot find one. I would look to your egg supply first for bad hatches and then your incubation practices and the type of incubator. That model you listed is sensitive to outside environmental conditions.

After cleaning (gently) you can lightly "mist" not spray, with oxine mixture. You can also use an oxine mixture to dip the eggs prior to incubation, you can use it in the bator water. That takes care of germs....
Otherwise there are soooo many variables it is very difficult to start guessing what happened. Temp, humidity, temp swing, placement of eggs, turning of eggs, % fertility of eggs, forced air or still air bator, and the list goes on and on. If you answer these questions it will def. help folks give you some advice.

As far as the oxine stuff if you are not familiar, you can find info on my BYC page.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom