Advise needed?

Akbar khakwani

In the Brooder
May 23, 2020
Last year I bought a peahen which bred with my male peacock and started to lay eggs . I kept picking eggs rather than leaving the in her nest as I had heard collecting eggs made the peahen lay more egg greater in number . Once I had 7 eggs in hand I put them under a broody hen as I thought that my peahen was not going to get broody. She laid another 10 eggs total 17 and I picked them up and kept them to myself the day the day she laid them. One day I noticed that the was sitting in her nest and when I went near she started to peck me ( she had gone broody) but the thing that surprised me was that she did not have any eggs in her nest as I had picked them but despite having no eggs with her she became broody. Then afterwards I put her eggs in her nest and the chicks hatched . This year she has again started laying eggs and I am collecting them rather keeping them in her nest . I wanted to this year too will she become broody( after laying all her eggs she possibly can ) if I keep collecting all her eggs or if I was lucky that she got broody without any eggs around her or is keeping eggs around peahens necessary to make the broody or the peahen will get broody no matter if I pick her eggs and keep them with me or not? Is getting broody without any eggs near or under her one time thing or it could happen again?

when you go in to get the eggs, quickly slip that real eggs out and slide some fake ones under her. ( The amount she had earlier.) Then she will keep laying and still not peck you. :thumbsup

It is not normal for a hen to go broody without eggs in sight, you were just lucky. If you plan to incubate the eggs you do not need to leave any in the pen with her. If you want her to go broody then only remove any of the eggs that are over ten days old.

Back
Top Bottom