Advise on duck vitamins regarding laying effects

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
In some youtube videos I've seen people have said that the ducks can lay all through winter. Mine don't do that.

But...

Mine weren't laying well this year. And probably I should do more vitamin compounds or something like niacin. I wasn't really doing this very well at all.

Can you advise on this? If yours are laying through winter, then maybe I should be doing what are with the duck nutrition and niacine...and if so what do you reccomend for a good cheaper niacine supplement, that would keep them going all winter, that preferrably doesn't cost much, a budget version.

And is it better to have the niacin vitamin supplements added to dry feed, or just added to their water? (Is one way better than the other?)

In some youtube videos I've seen people have said that the ducks can lay all through winter. Mine don't do that.

But...

Mine weren't laying well this year. And probably I should do more vitamin compounds or something like niacin. I wasn't really doing this very well at all.

Can you advise on this? If yours are laying through winter, then maybe I should be doing what are with the duck nutrition and niacine...and if so what do you reccomend for a good cheaper niacine supplement, that would keep them going all winter, that preferrably doesn't cost much, a budget version.

And is it better to have the niacin vitamin supplements added to dry feed, or just added to their water? (Is one way better than the other?)
Before you start supplementing especially long-term you should go back to the basics. A
completely healthy hen should not need to be on supplements long-term to lay regularly. Also the breeds you have play a very large role in how many eggs you get in a year.

-What breeds do you have and have you researched how many eggs they lay average in a year?
-How many hens do you have and how many eggs do you get on average in general?
-What feed are your ducks currently on?
-Do you offer free choice oyster shells?
-Do they free-range or have times of the day that they can forage?
-Is their coop/run larger enough and properly ventilated?

The first and cheapest thing you can do is allow them access to grass and bugs. I don't advocate free ranging because of predators. However, a chicken tractor can often be found on Craigslist. We have Indian Runners, so they need a taller movable structure. We ended up getting the small size walk in pen on Stromberg's, and move it daily. I wasn't sure how much good it did for them, till we bought Call Ducks that hadn't been well cared for. After breeding season, we got them a chicken tractor and I have really seen an improvement in their behavior and condition. We do put something for them to swim in both.

Well I'm doing welsh harlequinns and black indian runners. Love em. They are extrmely pretty.

But the welsh haven't laid a single egg in like 3 months. And there's 5 welsh hens. I don't understand it.

The black runners are in a separate pen. There's 4 hens in there and 2 drakes. (I'm going to get rid of one, but haven't gotten around to it.) This pen will have one egg laid about every other day.

With the economy being completely crazy I want to get the ducks producing, as they are a backup plan for if food prices rise.

I don't expect them all to lay eggs every day. But I'm getting almost nothing. I feed them in the mornings a laying mash. Then in the afternoon I give them some sunflower seeds (raw, unsalted, uncooked). The water is clean and plentiful.

But no eggs.

I'll try doing more oyster shell stuff. I could be better at that, but I was still putting that out twice a month. Maybe I should do that more?

I'd been more careful about water recently also. (I'd thought this was the culprit about a month ago but nothing changed after I was paying more attention to it.)

We have the ducks with full access to the backyard (split in half for 2 pens). This is the best I can do for range forage, because ALL of our neighbors have dogs. There's quite a bit of room for them to run around and hide in. But its still only about 3,000 square feet maybe? or 3,500.

I'm starting to wonder if I should just start over with a new set of duckslings. But if I can fix them I don't want to butcher them. :(

How old are they?
Are they getting enough nutrition? I have feed out alll day and my ducks eat when and how much they want even when they free range.
I would leave the oyster shell out all of the time so they can take it when they need it.
Any predator issues? Any drakes in with the welsh?
Niacin is beneficial, but it's not a supplement that's recommend for laying issues.

Thanks for checking. No predator issues... but I wonder if the closeness of the dogs could be making them nervous?

I'll see what I can do about oyster shell stuff. Thanks.

Curious; can kelp meal be used for ducks as a nutrient? Some people use it for sheep and other stuff. When I heard that I wondered if it might help.

I'm not familiar with kelp meal, but this site says it's a good source of vitamin d.

https://opensanctuary.org/article/daily-diet-treats-and-supplements-for-ducks/

"Vitamin D is typically produced in a duck’s body through exposure to sunlight (just like in people!). If you live in an area with long stretches of dark or cloudy weather such as the Pacific Northwest, it’s important to provide a duck with extra supplementation of Vitamin D, especially in Vitamin D3 form. A Vitamin D deficiency in ducks can lead to weak bones and shells. Their need for vitamin D significantly increases if they have inadequate levels of calcium and (or) phosphorous. Kelp is a popular natural source of Vitamin D for ducks."

Why do you want your ducks laying all winter?

Its better for them to have a break. For them to lay year round may come at the cost of their health.

Having said that, where I live i have lived in inland areas where its a little bit colder at night and daily lows (highs are the same), and my ducks lay little or nothing in winter and stop to moult during late summer and early autumn.

When I have lived in areas that are less inland, where the average low at night is maybe 2 or so degrees (C) higher, my ducks will lay basically all year round no matter what.
Diet and daylight hours and all other things were the same in both locations. When they lay through winter they get no break and some go broody, and instead of a few months off checking for nests (I have a lot of ducks) I have to keep checking or end up with winter ducklings. Plus my drakes are more likely to be dicks, lol...

I much prefer them not laying in winter, not just for them, but for me. In fact Id kinda love it if they all too a 1 year break so I could have an actual away from holiday!

Back
Top Bottom