Advise on windows and ventilation in hot, rainy climate

Sheltiepawz

Songster
Sep 16, 2019
Deep South Louisiana
Hello! Our chicks are 2 weeks old today and we got a start with the coop and run yesterday. We are doing the Wichita style. My question is what type of windows should I use? Wondering about window options we could shut for heavy rain. We live in New Orleans Louisiana. Lots of rain and heat. The coop will be 6x6.
I am planning on putting just a big window of mesh next to the pop door in the run. Just wondering about windows on sides. Here is what we got done yesterday.

Attachments

• 2A70291B-DA76-45AE-9821-B1D3DF013F60.jpeg
    2A70291B-DA76-45AE-9821-B1D3DF013F60.jpeg
    673.1 KB · Views: 25
You might consider pointing the lower end of the roof in the direction of where you get most of your wind and rain from. I assume West, south west. As far as the windows go, I will let others who are more familiar with your climate chime in on this.
Didn’t think of this, but by luck it actually is. The back is west which is the lowest point.

I'm interested in building a coop based on the Wichita Cabin design, but have a question about roofing material. I've seen some that use "clear" roofing material and wondering how that affects heat in the coop. I'm in Chicago, so it seems like it might be good for warming the coop in winter, but would it get too hot in the summer. There are trees around where I'm planning to build it, so maybe that would help in the summer.

Thoughts?

That's a mighty big back yard, are you sure your in New Orleans? Even Metairie is postage stamp back yards... maybe Mandeville has back yards like that lol. I'd have as much open as you can, the overhang will help with the rains, bigger would be better. I would not even bother putting windows in but I would put screen under the hardware cloth and maybe a awning over the openings.

You should add your location to your profile, climate makes a difference in answers.

JT

I'd invest more in large roof overhangs, 3'-4 ... forget about the "windows", and cover wall "openings" with 1/2" 19 gauge hardware cloth, even leaving one whole wall all mesh ...

If "wall openings" are bigger than 2'X2', I'd cover the hardware cloth with 2"X4" 14 gauge welded wire, with the edges covered with 1"X2" lumber screwed down ...

Remember ... Kansas has lots of cold wind, snow ... blizzards ... NOLA doesn't, so you need to adjust the coop to fit your location.

That's a mighty big back yard, are you sure your in New Orleans? Even Metairie is postage stamp back yards... maybe Mandeville has back yards like that lol. I'd have as much open as you can, the overhang will help with the rains, bigger would be better. I would not even bother putting windows in but I would put screen under the hardware cloth and maybe a awning over the openings.

You should add your location to your profile, climate makes a difference in answers.

JT
I’m in Madisonville and we are blessed with 3 acres. A rarity!

Back
Top Bottom