Advise Please, Chicken in shock?!

davibirks

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2019
Good Morning All,

On Friday evening our dog took a little stab at one of our rescue chickens. He didn't puncture her but was just telling her not to touch his food but, definitely stunned her into shock.

Since Friday we have had her in the house where its warm. She is eating and drinking but often does need to be reminded every hour or so and I'm feeding her scrambled eggs, tuna and crushed layers pellets along with electrolyte drink.

She is grooming herself, making the odd noise and appears to be doing ok other than she is staying very still (always stood up) and won't open her eyes. I've bathed her eyes in warm water and a tea bag and every now and again she opens one of them but then will close them again right after.

Has anybody else experienced anything like this? Is it normal to have her eyes closed whilst she recovers and how long do people think she will take to recover?

Any advise is much appreciated!

Cheers,

Hello davibirks.
Welcome to BYC.
Yes keeping the eyes closed is a normal reaction to shock in chickens.
If she is eating solids and drinking, grooming and talking occasionally I would say given you've found no injuries (?) she'll be fine. It just takes time.

Hey thank you for your quick response, really appreciate it. Yes she is grooming, moving very little and every so often her eye will open.

Out of interest, it's been 3 days. Is this normal?

Hi there, sorry to hear, what has happened. Like you said your dog was warning her,
about his food. She is probably still in shock, bless her. You have done everything
right, so far. At least she is eating /drinking which is a good thing. As for her eyes,
i would just keep bathing them, every few hrs, and just keep an eye on her. If there
is a change and you are concerned. Either come on here and ask for advice, or your
vet. Although i have not had it happen, with mine, i have had 2 of my girls ill. And it was
Bronchitis but the one, kept her eyes closed for 2 weeks. I just kept bathing them, and
put eye ointment on them. Then one morning i woke up, and her eyes were open.
As others have told you, it takes time. If she stopped eating /drinking then, it would be
cause for concern. However up to now, you have done a brilliant job. :love

Hi there, sorry to hear, what has happened. Like you said your dog was warning her,
about his food. She is probably still in shock, bless her. You have done everything
right, so far. At least she is eating /drinking which is a good thing. As for her eyes,
i would just keep bathing them, every few hrs, and just keep an eye on her. If there
is a change and you are concerned. Either come on here and ask for advice, or your
vet. Although i have not had it happen, with mine, i have had 2 of my girls ill. And it was
Bronchitis but the one, kept her eyes closed for 2 weeks. I just kept bathing them, and
put eye ointment on them. Then one morning i woke up, and her eyes were open.
As others have told you, it takes time. If she stopped eating /drinking then, it would be
cause for concern. However up to now, you have done a brilliant job. :love

Would you advise keeping her away from the other two hens? Currently, she's in the house in a box with shavings and food/water

Would you advise keeping her away from the other two hens? Currently, she's in the house in a box with shavings and food/water
I would put her with the other hens under your close supervision for a while.
Just hearing and sensing her flock mates around her may snap her out of it.
Unfortunately in trying to protect and heal a chicken our close contact and placing them in a strange environment slows recovery.
I don't think there is an average shock recovery time. I've had hawk attack patients in shock for a few hours to a few days.

I would put her with the other hens under your close supervision for a while.
Just hearing and sensing her flock mates around her may snap her out of it.
Unfortunately in trying to protect and heal a chicken our close contact and placing them in a strange environment slows recovery.
I don't think there is an average shock recovery time. I've had hawk attack patients in shock for a few hours to a few days.

Ok, thanks for the advise. I tried her out in the garden and she just stood there not moving so would you advise putting her in the coop?
FYI: This is the 3rd day of shock too.

Ok, thanks for the advise. I tried her out in the garden and she just stood there not moving so would you advise putting her in the coop?
FYI: This is the 3rd day of shock too.
I probably wouldn't but that doesn't make me right. I might risk putting her on her roost at night and making sure I was up early to check on her.
How did the other two hens react to her when she was outside?

I probably wouldn't but that doesn't make me right. I might risk putting her on her roost at night and making sure I was up early to check on her.
How did the other two hens react to her when she was outside?

They pretty much just stood at the side of her to be honest. Nothing really happened but I'm guessing as her eyes are still closed she wasn't too confident in moving around?

Back
Top Bottom