advise please

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by windmill5, Oct 8, 2009.

1. windmill5

windmill5 New Egg

Oct 7, 2009
    my boxes are off the grnd diff hieghts,i did move two boxes on the grnd but they sleep in them breaking some eggs.im puzzeld all the other birds i have had ,do it naturaly,ya know pick abox lay all thier eggs,then sit when they want ..??? .....scratchin my head????

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Not sure what the question is????? Sounds like maybe you have some birds that don't like using the boxes???? I would take the ones you lowered and put them back up and either keep taking the eggs that are being laid on the ground and putting them in the boxes to see if they get the idea, or just gather them where they lay. I have a couple of hens that drop eggs wherever... I just pick them up when I see them [​IMG]

If the question was something else... please clarify [​IMG]

3. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

This is my most popular nesting place. It was made with a shelving unit mounted sideways, and a couple of boards to keep the straw and eggs in. The chickens don't sleep in it, it isn't even inside the coop. They all perch on a board for the night inside.

[​IMG]

Inside the coop I also have a nesting "cave" made out of an old plastic box.

[​IMG]

I gather eggs frequently to prevent damage.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by