Aesthetics question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pawsplus, Jul 6, 2011.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    I found this super cute iron hanging thingy at TSC. It's big--20" or so in diameter--it's circular, with a rooster in the middle and "Welcome Home" around the edge. I failed to take a pic--sorry!!!

The finish is verdigris--i.e., weathered greenish color. I plan to put it over the door on the coop--see pic below.

[​IMG]

My question is this: Should I leave it its current color, which will show up somewhat against the darker green but not terribly well, or paint it light yellow? My house is yellow with a green metal roof, and I would like to pull the coop into that more, esp. as the coop is right out in front of my house. But I wasn't 100% sure. Opinions?? I can get a pic later and post.

[​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

How funny - I saw that same thing (or something very similar) at our TS up here, and I debated the same thing. I liked the rustic look of the color, but didn't think it would stand out much. I think I'd sponge paint it with yellow - that way it pops a little more against your green, but it retains some of the rustic look. [​IMG]

3. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Quote:OK -- great idea! I was going to spray it. Would I spray it and then sponge OFF a bit to create the rustic look?

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    OH, I've seen that! It is cute. I almost bought one myself. Some ideas for you would be to spray paint it yellow, or white, OR, you could mount it on a board that is painted a lighter color to accent the metal rooster decoration.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by