Af. Greys , question on there sex....

Know what you mean, Noelani...acts so much like a girl, and Pakei acts like a male...BUT....Im having a new feeling that just maybe....the woman was wrong and here I am yrs later questioning it. Noelani can be mean to Pakei and when she is mad she takes his feathers out of his head only...then they are fine, and hanging out...Pakei will feed her, they groom each other. She is VERY VOCAL, and he is not....but Im wanting to know for sure. You know? I need to get a picture of them to post.

ok got pics of my kiddos finally!!!!! and after much detail....Im thinking I have "TWO GIRLS"....
sad.png

36033_dsc_0579.jpg

Noelani....girl

36033_dsc_0583.jpg

Pakei.....Oh gosh PLEASE OH PLEASE TELL ME ITS A "HIM"....have a feeling its not

36033_dsc_0576.jpg

Pakei

The birds you have are Timneh African Greys (Psittacus erithacus timneh). The birds in the pictures from the link, showing visual differences in tail feathers, are Congo African Greys (Psittacus erithacus erithacus). These are two different subspecies, and one of the characteristic differences between Timnehs (your birds) and Congos (the birds in the pic) is that Timnehs have a darker maroon tail with gray markings underneath, while Congos have bright red tails, and are generally lighter gray overall. Timnehs have brownish upper mandibles, while Congos have completely black beaks. There are other differences as well, but your birds are clearly not the same subspecies shown in the pictures. As such, I don't know if what was presented there applies to your birds. DNA sexing is not expensive. Save yourself the doubt and have it done that way. I don't understand why you said "How would I know other than testing them?" when "testing them" is so simple and relatively inexpensive.

What are your goals for this breeding pair? I don't want to begin a rant, but African Greys and Cockatoos are very common birds in rescues, because so many people seem to "lose interest" in or are "unable to give enough attention to" these birds. Parrots are not like chickens (and I mean no disrespect to chickens). When people breed chickens or other poultry, if there are too many, or if someone doesn't want the bird anymore, the "processing" option exists for excess. For those who don't want their birds "processed", the birds themselves live only a few years. Parrots live decades. My Sammy, a male DYHA, just turned 20, and he is far from old. I got him when he was 7, probably because at that age, male amazons often become "ornery" as they hit their hard-core sexual maturity years, and his first owners just sold him back to a pet store. I understand amazons, and see myself getting more "unwanted males" needing adoption that will likely be easily found. When people tire of a bird like Sammy after a few years, the question becomes "where will they go?" Because of their long lifespans, there isn't a "high turnover" at rescues, and rescues seem to keep popping up all over the place (google "parrot rescue" sometime and see for yourself).

I don't mean anything personal against you. I'm merely questioning your intentions to breed these birds (and yes, you have every right to do what you wish with them) when you've had them for three years and are only now trying to figure out if they're truly male and female without any kind of medical intervention. That makes me wonder if these birds ever saw a vet for blood work and fecal/choanal cultures (i.e. the standard "bird physical"). If they have, it would have been so simple to just tack on a DNA test when the samples were sent to a lab to look for other possible health issues (which, in parrots, are notoriously asymptomatic until it's nearly too late to provide effective treatment, hence the importance of regular physicals).

Again, this is nothing against you, and I am happy that these birds found a home with you after their previous owner died (and the birds look great, have toys, nice looking cage....good job there!). It's just that your post paints a picture of someone who thought "ooh, a pair of African Greys...maybe I can raise babies" and waited three years before thinking "hmmm....are they really a boy and a girl?" Any time I brought home a bird, there was a vet appointment scheduled within days to be sure it was healthy (and yes, to have the bird DNA sexed). Please, again, don't take this the wrong way....just be sure that making more African Greys is what you really want to do, that you have a market for selling the babies, that you are ready for the work involved with hand-raising baby parrots to weaning age, etc.

And, once again, your birds look great....so kudos on giving them a great home. Even if they are two girls, or two boys, or if they are a pair and never want to make babies, they can be very gratifying to keep, and hopefully will give you years of joy.

:)

~Christopher

Hello Christopher!!!! And yes, I see where your coming from, very much so.....First let me tell you alittle about myself...ole woman, 52yrs old...mother of 4, grown kids, 2 military...ANIMAL LOVER!!! We live on 4 acres and have 7 dogs, 3 cats, flock of 32 chickens, 3 ducklings AND use to have 4 parrots...We had a BLUE/GOLD, ERAGON, GOFFIN COCKATOO, RHYDER and the greys...We have very high Vet bills as everyone is on prevention medication and up to date on all needed...The only reason we got rid of Eragon and Rhyder was that we had a NICU baby coming home from the hospital. I took applications and did heavy screenings on everyone and for along time ppl came to buy them and were turned away, until a family friend bought both. I did have Yoshi, another cockatoo...but she passed away, I cried many nights and buried her on the property...we rescue anything that comes onto the property and take them to the vet, that is just us. As to the reason for wanting to know a sex on them...is not for breeding....but merely because Im an animal lover and like to know who I have. My heart just wanted to know...nothing more, not to put out babies to make money....I can find other way to earn money rather than put a poor baby in harm....

As to the reason that They didnt get sexed, the greys...DH took them to the vet for check up, we were asked what we needed, said clean bill of health is what we want to know, nothing more....We were trying to get them away from that woman and used a vet in that area as the woman wouldnt let us take them without paying...so the 2 of them went to a vet in that location. The location is over 2hrs from us, and now Im told the vet is retired.....I was also told since I ddnt request a DNA that none was done....???? This part I dont know if its true with Parrots. But now that Im out on medical, EVEN WITH LIMITED FUNDS.....My babies are all fist before myself...

So Nice to meet you Christopher, Im so glad that another person thinks like I do...oh, I shop at ADVENTURES IN BIRDS for them....toys, feed and anythng to spoil them. http://adventuresinbirdsinc.com/parrothomepage.html I love going into this place, I never had been in a place like this until I owned my first parrot....where they have there birds for sale...its like walking into a zoo, its beautiful

Quote:
Whew, what a relief.....another bird nut like me! Hahaha. I'm glad you didn't take me the wrong way, and I didn't know enough about you to even be sure of what I was saying, hence all the hesitation and "it seems to me..." language. So you totally know that I was "thinking of the birds" and not trying to say anything bad on you. Thank you, and clearly, by what you say, I know they're in good hands. I'm sure you also understand that there are so many people who just see dollar signs when they see pairs of parrots available. On the one hand, all that encouragement of breeding meant fewer that needed to be imported (back when they still did that), but it kind of became too much of a good thing, and I personally think way too many parrots are being bred. They're being churned out in this country as though they were only going to live a few years. I mean, think about it....for every parrot raised, that's decades of care required. How many "spots" are there for pets that can live longer than the people buying them? And then what happens?

Anyway, if you want to know, I'd still say go with the DNA sexing. If it's just for curiosity, then it's no big rush, but I understand the "need to know." I have no intentions of breeding Sammy, but I "needed to know." Perhaps you can order a testing kit and do it yourself at home. Oh, also...I don't know if they're around anymore, but I remember MANY years ago that there was a company that did sexing based on testing for hormones present in feces. You'd have to google around for that, if they're even still around. I think the DNA sexing just became the "in" thing to be done at vet visits, so it may have driven the other option out of business.

Again, big kudos to you on giving these birds a great home, and thank you for seeing my post was all about being concerned for the birds. You and I clearly see things from the same perspective.

hugs.gif

~Christopher

Not a problem at all!!!!
thumbsup.gif

I better get to bed, have a full day tomm....its coop cleaning, dog bed cleaning, cage cleaning....which means everyone is underfoot, and flying around also....asking for treats and love....
big_smile.png

I have ym if you do if not find me with my email addy.....

Nice meeting you!

Back
Top Bottom