Affectionate, pretty chicks

Phoebe_here

Songster
May 24, 2022
I found two 4-6 week old Welsummers to replace the cockerels I’m not permitted to keep. And they are the prettiest and snuggliest and most adorable birds! Never heard of the breed until two weeks ago and now I’m smitten 🥰

Are there any other breeds I should know about if I’m looking for an affectionate personality and pretty feathers?

PS: I hope no-one sees any hint of rooster in these two???!!!! I think they’re between 4-6 weeks.

Attachments

• 4FFE1CE6-4DF6-4587-A51E-E6E2BC31B897.jpeg
    4FFE1CE6-4DF6-4587-A51E-E6E2BC31B897.jpeg
    531.8 KB · Views: 9
  • B1CD04AE-2447-4CEF-B3C7-3D9969106FE0.jpeg
    B1CD04AE-2447-4CEF-B3C7-3D9969106FE0.jpeg
    266.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 7AB3A6A0-EA84-429D-8F46-D6EE801FDD8D.jpeg
    7AB3A6A0-EA84-429D-8F46-D6EE801FDD8D.jpeg
    439.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 2DD2DAF5-E341-4CB2-9AA4-2C1CDF08D85C.jpeg
    2DD2DAF5-E341-4CB2-9AA4-2C1CDF08D85C.jpeg
    276 KB · Views: 4
Pretty babies! My only Welsummer was certainly striking-looking and laid lovely eggs, but Lottie was more skittish than many of my birds.

I have a couple of suggestions for pretty and friendly chickens.

My Bronwyn is a Speckled Sussex who has beautiful feathers and wants to be anywhere I am, "helping" me with tasks I could accomplish faster if she would just get out of the way (she likes to hop on the shovel when I'm trying to move used bedding, for example). She really gets prettier with every molt, adding more white "highlights."

Also, my Buff and Partridge Cochins are big, fluffy girls who will hop into my lap or the laps of visitors in hopes of a treat. Isabel, the Buff, will come galloping across the yard toward me if she thinks I might have a grape for her.

In the meantime, enjoy your little cuties!

Are there any other breeds
Yes. Definitely
I should know about if I’m looking for an affectionate personality and pretty feathers?
Faverolles! :lau They’re my favourite. Sweet, affectionate and beautiful!

This was my sweet pullet Peanut who unfortunately got killed by my dog.
1645205423406.jpeg

And some babies I have currently
CB047006-45C6-4E52-BC37-51F9A30178F4.png

701F778B-DDA2-415D-9569-8EC2DBD9BD45.jpeg

The breed is also auto-sexing. The cockerels grow dark feathers and the pullets have white. So you can sex them at around 3-4 weeks.

Pretty babies! My only Welsummer was certainly striking-looking and laid lovely eggs, but Lottie was more skittish than many of my birds.

My Bronwyn is a Speckled Sussex who has beautiful feathers and wants to be anywhere I am, "helping" me with tasks I could accomplish faster if she would just get out of the way (she likes to hop on the shovel when I'm trying to move used bedding, for example). She really gets prettier with every molt, adding more white "highlights."

Also, my Buff and Partridge Cochins are big, fluffy girls who will hop into my lap or the laps of visitors in hopes of a treat. Isabel, the Buff, will come galloping across the yard toward me if she thinks I might have a grape for her.

Oh Bronwyn sounds adorable! We have a Buff Sussex chick who is also very sweet.

Cochins are so cute! Thank you for the recommendation. I love the ‘full’ look of their body.

Yes. Definitely

Faverolles! :lau They’re my favourite. Sweet, affectionate and beautiful!

This was my sweet pullet Peanut who unfortunately got killed by my dog.
View attachment 3144125
And some babies I have currently
View attachment 3144126
View attachment 3144127
The breed is also auto-sexing. The cockerels grow dark feathers and the pullets have white. So you can sex them at around 3-4 weeks.
Thank you 😊 I love the pretty pale feathers and buff highlights. What cuties. And the distinctive fluffy face and neck!

Welsummers are one of my favorites. Their eggs are unique too. Most lay a pretty brick red egg with darker speckles.
I think they go nicely with crested cream legbars' blue eggs. My legbars have always been my friendliest hens.

Welsummers are one of my favorites. Their eggs are unique too. Most lay a pretty brick red egg with darker speckles.
I think they go nicely with crested cream legbars' blue eggs. My legbars have always been my friendliest hens.
Wow! The Legbars are striking! I like the varied feathers… how the chest is so different to the back, which is so different to the neck. I wonder if there is a name for that sort of ‘regional/sectional’ patterning?

Wow! The Legbars are striking! I like the varied feathers… how the chest is so different to the back, which is so different to the neck. I wonder if there is a name for that sort of ‘regional/sectional’ patterning?
I love my legbars, but as looks go, they aren't my prettiest. I do love the apricot colored chests, but the 100% friendly attitudes are what make them my favorites. I've never had a cclb that wasn't friendlier than your average hen.

I wanna be this kind of friendly with my birds; my only concern is them pooping on me.

Well, poop happens! Most of mine don't want to cuddle in my lap, which would increase the chance of getting pooped on, but some -- like Bronwyn -- just want to stick close to me, in case food might be involved.

On the other hand, Isabel seems to delight in jumping on my head or my back when I'm bending down to lock the ducks into their night shelter or when I'm trying to scoop feed. The likelihood of poop is much less scary than the unexpected landing of a big, fluffy Cochin on the back of your head.

Back
Top Bottom