Afquack meets solo?

Kendrasueh

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 13, 2016
Hiddenite NC
Five years ago I nursed a runner duckling back to health after getting stepped on by her mother. Her hips were both dislocated(at least) and I used water therapy to get her walking again. During her recovery she became a barn cat and now refuses to be a duck. I tried keeping her next to the ducks at the pond for a week before I put them together. When I turned them all out on the pond, Aflac insisted that I was trying to drown her( after all she IS a cat) and literally ran for the safety of the barn and other cats almost a quarter of a mile away from the pond! Shes been a happy cat since then. Now, for one reason or another I was down to 2 ducks at the pond until today. A hawk got one leaving a very unhappy “magpie” duck alone and scared. Do I make her live at the barn without a pond or do I make Afquack try again to become a duck?

That’s a strange one.. she’s been living in the barn with the cats for 5 years? Sounds like the barn and cats is all she’s really known her whole life, I’m not surprised she’s afraid of the pond and other ducks.

But.. you also have a lonely duck that’s in need of companionship. You’ll either need to get Afquack on board, or get a new duck (or two..) for your pond duck.

I know Afquack seems happy being a cat, but with time, she’d probably be much happier as a duck. Do you have / can you make a “see, no touch” area? That is, two fenced in areas, side-by-side, where the ducks may see each other, but not actually get to each other. After a couple days, put the two ducks in the same, fenced-in area together, and let them interact with each other, chase each other, but watch them close to make sure no one is being hurt. Put a kiddie pool in the area so your other duck may teach Afquack about swimming. I would personally keep them in this fenced area and away from the pond until Afquack seems content with swimming in the kiddie pool and hanging out with her new duck friend. Do not let Afquack go back to the barn.

I could see this taking Afquack some time to adjust, I know I would have a hard time if I was her. She’s learning how to duck again - be patient with her.

Maybe someone else has a better idea, but this is what I would do. It’s certainly a very unique situation 😅

If you put your Runner out on the pond it will just be a matter of time before the one left there at the pond and Afquack will be gone. That hawk will remember where he or she got the free meal. Kiddy pools make nice places for ducks to swim and bathe in and can be placed where a hawk cannot get to them like under a covered run. After a time the 2 ducks will seek each other out. Even if they don't become best buds at least they wouldn't be eaten.

Last edited:
That’s a strange one.. she’s been living in the barn with the cats for 5 years? Sounds like the barn and cats is all she’s really known her whole life, I’m not surprised she’s afraid of the pond and other ducks.

But.. you also have a lonely duck that’s in need of companionship. You’ll either need to get Afquack on board, or get a new duck (or two..) for your pond duck.

I know Afquack seems happy being a cat, but with time, she’d probably be much happier as a duck. Do you have / can you make a “see, no touch” area? That is, two fenced in areas, side-by-side, where the ducks may see each other, but not actually get to each other. After a couple days, put the two ducks in the same, fenced-in area together, and let them interact with each other, chase each other, but watch them close to make sure no one is being hurt. Put a kiddie pool in the area so your other duck may teach Afquack about swimming. I would personally keep them in this fenced area and away from the pond until Afquack seems content with swimming in the kiddie pool and hanging out with her new duck friend. Do not let Afquack go back to the barn.

I could see this taking Afquack some time to adjust, I know I would have a hard time if I was her. She’s learning how to duck again - be patient with her.

Maybe someone else has a better idea, but this is what I would do. It’s certainly a very unique situation 😅
When Afquack was 2 I got 3 ducklings and put them together until the ducklings were old enough to go on the pond. I then took the 4 of them and put them in half of the duckhouse( next to the pond) with the other adult ducks in the other side, separated by chicken wire. I left them for two separated for 2 weeks then took the chicken wire away. Seeing that they were fine together I opened the door hoping they would go with the flock to the pond. It’s only a 4 yd walk to the water. Everyone jumped in the pond…except Afquack. We slowly pushed her into the water but she only stayed in for 15 seconds before she headed to the barn… by herself.
She is free range with access to the barn and has access to swimming water if she wanted but she never does. I know she can swim as that’s how I rehabbed her. She loves the cats!

When Afquack was 2 I got 3 ducklings and put them together until the ducklings were old enough to go on the pond. I then took the 4 of them and put them in half of the duckhouse( next to the pond) with the other adult ducks in the other side, separated by chicken wire. I left them for two separated for 2 weeks then took the chicken wire away. Seeing that they were fine together I opened the door hoping they would go with the flock to the pond. It’s only a 4 yd walk to the water. Everyone jumped in the pond…except Afquack. We slowly pushed her into the water but she only stayed in for 15 seconds before she headed to the barn… by herself.
She is free range with access to the barn and has access to swimming water if she wanted but she never does. I know she can swim as that’s how I rehabbed her. She loves the cats!
It’s really up to you.. I’d personally try to have them be friends again, but if Afquack doesn’t want to stay, you can’t really do much, unless you wanted to fence her away from the barn permanently :idunno I’m really surprised she ran back to the barn after being away with the ducklings for so long.

I’d seriously consider what Miss Lydia said above - that hawk will more than likely return to eat your last pond-duck. They’d be safer housed away from the pond. Honestly, maybe your pond-duck should become a cat-duck, too 😂

Whatever you decide, your pond-duck needs a friend. If you want to keep Afquack and your pond-duck separate, then I’d start looking around your area for anybody selling an adult duck or two.

Back
Top Bottom