African geese and winter temps

MichalK

Chirping
Jun 24, 2015
Illinois
I have a goose shelter that closes, like a mini barn, for my 2 young geese. It's their first winter. It's down to 0° F here. Last night I kept them with a heater since it was very cold. How cold can they tolerate without a heat source? Thanks.

I have a goose shelter that closes, like a mini barn, for my 2 young geese. It's their first winter. It's down to 0° F here. Last night I kept them with a heater since it was very cold. How cold can they tolerate without a heat source? Thanks.
If they are in a secure house out of drafts they will be fine, they need some ventilation up around the top though because they generate alot of moisture from breathing and if there isn't a way for it to escape can cause respiratory problems. How old are your geese? as long as they have draft free housing with plenty of deep bedding and ventilation and a way to get fresh air with out it blowing right over them plus are fully feathered and acclimated to weather they should be fine. They wear down under those feathers.

Heat lamps and heaters can cause fires please be very careful. We have seen members lose their flocks from using heat in their coops.

Last edited:
Thank you! Yes they are feathered out, we got them in may. The roof is set so that it isn't attached to the walls, it's open. They have lots of hay bedding. One of them had icicles on him last night so I put a heater . they seemed happy after that. Phew I'm so glad, I was worried, they are my babies! Thank you so much!
If they are in a secure house out of drafts they will be fine, they need some ventilation up around the top though because they generate alot of moisture  from breathing and if there isn't a way for it to escape  can cause respiratory problems. How old are your geese? as long as they have draft free housing with plenty of deep bedding and ventilation and a way to get fresh air with out it blowing right over them plus are fully feathered and acclimated to weather they should be fine.  They wear down under those feathers. 

Heat lamps and heaters can cause fires please be very careful.  We have seen  members lose their flocks from using heat in their coops.

I won't use heater then if they can withstand cold cold.
2744.png
2744.png
2744.png

Thank you! Yes they are feathered out, we got them in may. The roof is set so that it isn't attached to the walls, it's open. They have lots of hay bedding. One of them had icicles on him last night so I put a heater . they seemed happy after that. Phew I'm so glad, I was worried, they are my babies! Thank you so much!
I hope you have hardware cloth at every point of entry Or you risk predators getting in. Another reason for not using heat if we get them acclimated to warmer temps and then we lose power we are actually hurting them.

Back
Top Bottom