African Goose hatching

goosexnoob

In the Brooder
Feb 25, 2021
Sorry if this has already been addressed but I just received my 7 African geese eggs in the mail. Is it ok to put them directly into the incubator?

Sorry if this has already been addressed but I just received my 7 African geese eggs in the mail. Is it ok to put them directly into the incubator?
I'm not experienced with geese, but with any hatching eggs you want to settle them for 24 hours. If you set them in the bator right out of the box, they can get saddled air sacks.

Let them sit out for a full 24 hours to reach room temperature and settle, then you can place them in the incubator.

I think at this point I should just leave them alone and control humidity, ill rotate at least twice a day shoot for 4 times.

I think at this point I should just leave them alone and control humidity, ill rotate at least twice a day shoot for 4 times.
I've incubated more than a few batches of goose eggs, including shipped ones, and would try to turn the eggs an odd number of times (like 3 or 5) a day, rather than even. This will help ensure the eggs don't end up spending too much time - like overnight - on the same side. And if you haven't already read it, check out this thread on incubating goose eggs.

Best of luck!

The larger the egg the harder it is on them during shipping. So settling would be good. If they are already in the incubator, watch for sweating of the egg- which is a cold egg going into warm incubator.

Thanks for the reply folks, I haven't noticed sweating, they are dry. It was about 72 degrees in Houston TX today so I'm hoping that helps. I didn't let my 12 cinnamon queens sit for 24 hrs and I had about 90% success rate but then again geese are more difficult. I'll shoot for rotation 3 times per day 55% humidity then higher at the end of the month. Really hope to have a few good healthy African geese soon, I used to have them as a kid and were always the best pets to have around.

Back
Top Bottom