After butchering

Quote:
Erica .....
frow.gif
Brining is not traditionaly known as a food preserver per say, I think you may be thinking of things that seem very similar like, salt curing, curing Hams using the brining process, that sort of thing. This is not the same, brining chickens involves adding salt to somewhat hot water to disolve it then added to iced water, the chickens are submerged for an extended period from hr's to day's. The idea as I understand it, is it neutralizes the salinity so that it is more easily passes through the muscle tissue walls, by neutralize I mean the salt is not left in the meat, just passes in & back out again unhindered. Brining adds flavor, texture, moisture & tenderness to the meat, by opening up the muscle cell walls enhancing tenderness without sacrificing texture. I don't know if my explanation is spot on but should be close enough for you to get the idea. I know I have done aging for day's which is good, non aging which is not recommended, and brining which I prefer as the best most flavorful method. I hope this helps.

AL

Last edited:
Ah, thanks so much, AL, that makes a lot of sense. Yes I was confusing it with what's done to hams. I've got 4 cockerels I've been raising for the table, so I might have a go at brining one to see how it compares for taste and tenderness.
Thanks for the detailed answer! It's always lovely to learn something new.
smile.png

Erica

For the past 2 years I have always brined my turkeys bought in the store, and it improves flavor tremendously!

I like to add flavors, allspice, garlic, brown sugar, it seems to improve the flavor, but you don't taste those flavors when you eat the meat. Its just more tender & flavorful.

Sue

Thanks so much for that in-depth info Erica! I wish I had read it yesterday-DH is in the barn butchering 7 of our old girls right now! These were our first hens and are his first attempt at the whole process so we'll see how it goes! They're about 1 1/2 years old and I think we'll eat one tomorrow and I'll try canning the others.
Does anyone have advice on canning?

Last edited:
I'm relatively new to this thread, but here is what I have gathered so far...
I'm having 7 birds processed next week (4 that are about 1 1/2 yrs old & 3 that are about 10 months old). I am planning on bringing them home and putting them in the fridge for a couple of days to rest, then into the freezer. I haven't decided if I want to brine them or not, I may try some to see if I can tell a difference or not. I know everyone has their own opinions, but as a whole does this sound ok? Thanks!

If you don't have room in your fridge, can you leave them in a cooler of ice water for a few days? Or would you just want to put ice over them??

Back
Top Bottom