After duckling hatches... Moving to brooder?

kthankzbai

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 6, 2011
I've been researching a lot before my lockdown date arrives (May 24)..

From egg cartons to humidity levels to brooders.. It's been a really fun and exciting time for me as a first timer.

I just have a question about when ducklings are successfully hatched and ready to moved to a brooder... what happens when there are still other ducklings hatching?

I've read about shrinkwrapped ducklings when you open the incubator and other dangers to them when they are in the process of coming out.

What happens if there is still one or two late eggs that needs to fully hatch but you have several other ducklings ready to be moved to the brooder?

Thank you!

they can survive two days absorbing the rest of their yolk sac so its ok to leave them in their. After that period, I usually do a quick grab of the ones that have hatched and add warm water to up the humidity.

Ah I see.

So there's no damage to the hatching egg if I open the bator for a quick couple of seconds?

I've read about shrinkwrapped and drowning due to the levels of humidity.

I've got 12 Saxony eggs and the seller told me to keep the levels 50% to 55% and then 80% to 85% on lockdown. Does that sound about right? All these posts and there's so many different numbers!

Also, would you recommend for lockdown the egg carton method (with bottoms cut out), cut toilet paper roll cardboard (place eggs on their side), or just laid on the wire?
There's so many different opinions and pros and cons. Just want the best I can do so all my eggs will hatch!!!
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
I have my eggs laying on their sides for the whole 28 day period. Egg cartons- the cardboard type can actually absorb moisture from the air. Its not alot- but it can still effect the humidity in the incubator.

I take my ducklings out once they start getting active and moving the unhatched eggs around. They can survive on the absorbed yolk for a while- but I like to get mine out and eating and drinking on their own as soon as possible. I have had a few that were taken from the bator after 24 hrs- and they were dehydrated, so now I just watch and gauge when they are ready on an individual basis. Depending on what kind of incubator you are using- humidity can raise back up quickly enough to not effect still hatching ducklings. You can also give the eggs a spray with a misting bottle to counteract the sudden drop in humidity.

Thank you!

I used to have a fan but don't anymore. So I noticed that when I open the bator just for a little bit, humidity drops really quickly by 10% minimum. So you would just suggest spraying them after I open the bator?

I didn't know the humidity is effected by the egg cartons! I'm just worried about hearing the ducklings that thrash around and knock other eggs around. I read people use Styrofoam egg cartons and cut out the middle part to act like rings. What's your opinion on those?

Back
Top Bottom