after fox attack belly is green

Spaniel Hen

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 2, 2009
I had a bad fox attack on Thursday morning as an owl watched. Three hens with puncture wounds (bites) are now in the house. I sprayed their wounds with bactine! Two are eating, drinking, interacting with me, recovering. One is not. I lifted her out of her cage this morning to take another look - she spends a lot of time lying on her uninjured side. I thought maybe I had missed a wound. She has one bite under her left wing. When I looked at her belly - it is green on that side and warmer to the touch than the other side. Not many feathers on her belly, and it's not the skin that's green, it's green on the inside. I'm thinking - infection? punctured intestine? Do I put her down? How? Ideas?

I am so sorry that happened to you! It seems as though putting her down would be the best thing for her right now. Sounds like the bite punctured something and did a lot of damage. There are two methods that are the most humane. But neither one is easy. #1 is the head chop. and # 2 is the broomstick method where you lay the chickens head on the ground under a broomstick and pull sharply and quickly upwards. I have never done this method because...well I just can't bring myself to . However the head chop works well. The other thing you cold do is wrap her in a towel and isolate her. Mine always die faster wrapped and alone. Best of luck and so sorry. This is never easy.

How "deep" is the green color? Please be aware that chicken bruises turn green... sometimes bright green! Of course you may also be dealing with something much more serious, given the location. Can you describe her behavior?

Last edited:
Oh yes. That is the best method. Not much blood(at least not as much as head chopping!) Thanks Dawg53.

Thanks you guys. My DH just got home. We have a 22, and will probably go that route. I don't think it's bruising because it extends quite a bit from the wound, it's warm, and she's not eating or pooping much. She is sitting hunched over, wings down, or lying on her side. Not going to be easy, but I think it's the right decision, just needed some support. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom