After the fox attack

2006psdsd

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2015
My remaining two ducks rarely leave the safety of the coop. Now, before the attack, they ONLY went in there for bed time and hung out outside all day, even in some pretty crappy weather (wind, cold, snow). FYI, I have since then beefed up their security now with 3 strands of electric fence tested up to 8000 volts. They are as safe as I can make them without them sleeping with us, LOL.

Is there something else I can do, or need to do? I just feel like they are still really bummed about watching the two girls die in front of them. We are first time duck owners too. It's been nearly a month since the attack

Last edited:
My remaining two ducks rarely leave the safety of the coop. Now, before the attack, they ONLY went in there for bed time and hung out outside all day, even in some pretty crappy weather (wind, cold, snow). FYI, I have since then beefed up their security now with 3 strands of electric fence tested up to 8000 volts. They are as safe as I can make them without them sleeping with us, LOL.

Is there something else I can do, or need to do? I just feel like they are still really bummed about watching the two girls die in front of them. We are first time duck owners too. It's been nearly a month since the attack

About all you can do is give them time. They are suffering PTSD [another member said this is what her duck has from watching her flock killed] and it's probably true. Not sure if your in winter but if you could spend some time out with them that may help them feel better about coming out too.

PS before you decide to bring them in to sleep with ya'll better order some duck diapers.
wink.png

About all you can do is give them time. They are suffering PTSD [another member said this is what her duck has from watching her flock killed] and it's probably true. Not sure if your in winter but if you could spend some time out with them that may help them feel better about coming out too.

PS before you decide to bring them in to sleep with ya'll better order some duck diapers.
wink.png

I never thought of it that way, PTSD, but it makes sense seeing how close ducks are in tuned with each other. I have been trying to go out thee, but they're not the type of ducks that enjoy our company. I don't think they were socialized with humans much when they were younger. I have the rest of the year off so I'll try and hang out with them more. It IS winter here, and it's been pretty cold for a while, but the sub zero temps are gone...for now

No duck diapers, they would freak out if they did come in the house, HAHA

I never thought of it that way, PTSD, but it makes sense seeing how close ducks are in tuned with each other. I have been trying to go out thee, but they're not the type of ducks that enjoy our company. I don't think they were socialized with humans much when they were younger. I have the rest of the year off so I'll try and hang out with them more. It IS winter here, and it's been pretty cold for a while, but the sub zero temps are gone...for now

No duck diapers, they would freak out if they did come in the house, HAHA
Sometimes just being there with out even trying to interact with them may give them the courage to start enjoying themselves again. Might try bringing out the shovel and looking for some tasty worms that brings mine around. Just watch out for their feet mine like to get in and help once I start digging.

I dont see many worms here, and the ground is probably frozen for at least 6 inches. I do have some meal worms that they enjoy, and a ton of lettuce. We'll hang out today, as long as it warms up past 10 degrees, :)

I dont see many worms here, and the ground is probably frozen for at least 6 inches. I do have some meal worms that they enjoy, and a ton of lettuce. We'll hang out today, as long as it warms up past 10 degrees,
smile.png
Where are you?asking only because our half of the US is experiencing spring . I'd say most of your worms are probably over around China via earth. lol Mine do love meal worms too.

We are in Colorado. Its been super cold here for a while. I found some nightcrawlers in the fridge from fishing season. They LOVED them! I put them in their water dish and they sucked them right up, lol. I think by the end of vacation, they will be on their way to recovery.

We are in Colorado. Its been super cold here for a while. I found some nightcrawlers in the fridge from fishing season. They LOVED them! I put them in their water dish and they sucked them right up, lol. I think by the end of vacation, they will be on their way to recovery.
thumbsup.gif
Awesome keep up the good work and please keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom