After the roo has gone?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PamD, May 14, 2009.

1. PamD

PamD New Egg

Jul 19, 2008
    I have a head RIR Roo who has 7 girls and a second 10 month old Silkie Roo who has his own 2 millie hens.
    The problem is, although all the birds were raised together and share a coop, the threesome have always gone their own way, (as a lower sub group). but now the main Roo is picking on the threesome. If I were to remove Roo 2 from the flock, would the 2 millies then be accepted into the main flock? Has anyone had this experience? My 2 millie fleurs are looking so battered that I need to do something and I do not really want to go down the road of separating them, as they free range together all day, at a tolerated distance.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Why not try putting the RIR roo in jail for a few days? Might take him down a peg.

3. whippet128

whippet128 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    That is a hard one. Just trial and error. taking the rir out of the question might just make him more mad. But that is a good place to start.

4. Crazy4cochins

Crazy4cochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    NW MO
    I don't know if your at the top of your flock. I am and when i see a roo getting to bossy for their own good I will use my dominance and Basically get in the way of them messing with the more timid ones. kinda like a dog pack leader and they will learn to ease up.
    I have ALOT of roosters and i even have some that follow me around and protect me from the more aggressive ones.
    I had a roo like this and then he got to wear he'd try to mess with me. NOT IN MY HEN House... He learned and now if he gets a little to sassy I chase him around like the other roosters would do.
    It works. Just know that your the boss of them and I think they are capable of learning , if he is too stubborn then find him a new home. I got rid of the few that wouldn't learn.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agee with the other posts. I ended up giving mine away.

6. PamD

PamD New Egg

Jul 19, 2008
    Thanks for the replies. I think the time has come to remove the 2nd Roo as he is being aggessive to all the girls and is also being picked on by Roo 1 at night. He is sadly, a very scruffy and weak looking silkie Roo, so there is no chance of rehoming him and therefore only one way for him to go. I now just have to pluck up courage and ditch the guilt for the dealy deed. At least if I do it myself, I know it will be humanely done.[​IMG][​IMG]

7. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    You could of course just let them work it out on their own, they will you know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by