After the roo has gone?

PamD

Hatching
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
I have a head RIR Roo who has 7 girls and a second 10 month old Silkie Roo who has his own 2 millie hens.
The problem is, although all the birds were raised together and share a coop, the threesome have always gone their own way, (as a lower sub group). but now the main Roo is picking on the threesome. If I were to remove Roo 2 from the flock, would the 2 millies then be accepted into the main flock? Has anyone had this experience? My 2 millie fleurs are looking so battered that I need to do something and I do not really want to go down the road of separating them, as they free range together all day, at a tolerated distance.

That is a hard one. Just trial and error. taking the rir out of the question might just make him more mad. But that is a good place to start.

I don't know if your at the top of your flock. I am and when i see a roo getting to bossy for their own good I will use my dominance and Basically get in the way of them messing with the more timid ones. kinda like a dog pack leader and they will learn to ease up.
I have ALOT of roosters and i even have some that follow me around and protect me from the more aggressive ones.
I had a roo like this and then he got to wear he'd try to mess with me. NOT IN MY HEN House... He learned and now if he gets a little to sassy I chase him around like the other roosters would do.
It works. Just know that your the boss of them and I think they are capable of learning , if he is too stubborn then find him a new home. I got rid of the few that wouldn't learn.

Thanks for the replies. I think the time has come to remove the 2nd Roo as he is being aggessive to all the girls and is also being picked on by Roo 1 at night. He is sadly, a very scruffy and weak looking silkie Roo, so there is no chance of rehoming him and therefore only one way for him to go. I now just have to pluck up courage and ditch the guilt for the dealy deed. At least if I do it myself, I know it will be humanely done.
sad.png
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom