After three years, it finally happened.

Tuhmu

Crowing
11 Years
May 22, 2012
North Dakota
Had my first chicken attack yesterday... I lost 4 but gained one back last evening. Not sure what got them, it almost seemed like it happened during the day. Just big piles of feathers in a couple locations. The really weird thing is that they were wall the same breed and color, no other breeds were missing. They were of course the rare breed that I’ve been trying to get a good established flock on. Towards evening one of them came out from, presumably, hiding….she came out of the tall grass in the ditch by the road. I really don’t know what would have got them, I thought maybe hawks but to lose 4 all in the same day….. I never did find a body or anything.

Not is all lost though, I still have the rooster of that breed and one hen….so I can hopefully build my flock back up. Going to have to fire up the incubator again.

Kind of sad, my other rooster, the king of the roost, must have been trying to defend them. He’s missing most of his tail feathers and his tail feathers are in each pile of feathers scattered throughout the yard.

[COLOR=1F497D]Had my first chicken attack yesterday...[/COLOR] [COLOR=1F497D]I lost 4 but gained one back last evening. Not sure what got them, it almost seemed like it happened during the day. Just big piles of feathers in a couple locations. The really weird thing is that they were wall the same breed and color, no other breeds were missing. They were of course the rare breed that I’ve been trying to get a good established flock on. Towards evening one of them came out from, presumably, hiding….she came out of the tall grass in the ditch by the road. I really don’t know what would have got them, I thought maybe hawks but to lose 4 all in the same day….. I never did find a body or anything.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=1F497D]Not is all lost though, I still have the rooster of that breed and one hen….so I can hopefully build my flock back up. Going to have to fire up the incubator again.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=1F497D]Kind of sad, my other rooster, the king of the roost, must have been trying to defend them. He’s missing most of his tail feathers and his tail feathers are in each pile of feathers scattered throughout the yard.[/COLOR]

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I had something similar a year ago. I came down one morning and all my chickens were dead. There were feathers everywhere. It had obviously been a hell of a battle. It was a fox which killed them. I'm in UK so fox was the obvious culprit. I hope you manage to re-establish your flock.

Back
Top Bottom