After you got your first egg, how soon did more come?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Delmar, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Delmar

Delmar Chillin' With My Peeps

OK it's story time. When your girls started laying how long did it take to get another? I have five girls all the same age. Should I expect that since one has started, the rest are not far behind?

2. obaan1

obaan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Great Lakes State
    If they are all the same breed, that would be an accurate statement. Get your egg frying pan ready.

3. Delmar

Quote:They are not all the same breed. In fact, I think the one that laid the egg is the only one I have of that breed.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They can vary a LOT about when they start laying, both between breeds and between individuals. Look for red combs and squatting. Hope you start getting omelets soon!

5. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    All my chickens are the same age, except the silkies that are about two weeks older.

One silkie started laying in December, but it was the only one for about a month. The standard sized chickens which are different breeds all started laying at once, about a month later, all within a week or so of each other's first eggs. The second silkie still isn't laying.

6. xyresicchick

xyresicchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Providence, RI
    i got my first egg, and then got an egg like clockwork every 2 days after that from the same hen. i could tell it was the same hen because it was so perfectly timed as well as the egg was perfectly identical every time in shape and color. it took a while before there was any variation in the laying, or until there was a day with 2 eggs. then a while before there were 3 eggs in one day.

7. Delmar

Just got one more!

8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Depends, a few of my hens started laying days from each-other. Other's months. [​IMG]

9. Heluerto

Heluerto Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Banbury, UK
    Yep, I've had a hen lay at about 24 weeks, but then another not until about 40 weeks. But once they started, there was no stopping them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by