Again. With the hawk.

I have had 3 hawk strikes this year and lost 1 of my favorites. The other time it took weeks for one of my girls to recover and months later is still jumpy. Once a hawk almost came inside the coop but I was outside and scared it off. Now I have the run covered with deer netting. I only have 10 girls and a roo who does a good job alerting and protecting his flock. If I could shoot the hawks I would. There are way too many of them.

Do roosters most of the time shut down hawk attacks???
Our roosters would always alert the flock to anything flying over. -gave them time to quickly dart for cover. We had two bantam roos. -were small and would've been no match for a hawk. (They would've tried their best, though - fearless) They were very keen and alert to flying predators. That was the advantage in averting attacks (not the fact that they literally confronted the hawk).

Do roosters most of the time shut down hawk attacks???
No. Roosters I have are probably the best you will encounter when it comes to dealing with hawks but they are picky about the fights they get into with hawks. They must be adult rooster and not in full molt as between September and December. They will take on a Coopers hawk readily, male or female hawk, but red-tail hawks require special conditions for counter attack. Hawk must be on ground and not higher than counter-attacking rooster. Rooster must be able to operate from cover or at least very close to it. When my roosters take on a red-tailed hawk, the rooster likes to dart out of bushes to flog very quickly and go back into bushes if hawk turns to face him. If hawk does not turn around rooster will flog repeatedly and can cause damage quickly if hawk cannot get away. Hawk may look big but my game roosters at 5.5 lbs have a decided weight advantage and are faster on the ground, much faster, especially if hawk can not fly because of cover that prevent proper use of wings.

If hawk can latch onto rooster with talons, then odds are rooster is history but rooster seems aware of that risk. If hawk latches onto any member of rooster's harem then hawk is particularly vulneralble because it cannot turn easily and at least one foot is held out of fight.

Do not dismiss the rooster ability to cause significant damage by flogging, especially to something like a hawk that even wants to protect feathers from damage.

Breed / size of rooster can be important. Some physically incapable or lack mentality needed.

So,e
One of my hens likes to come up on the back porch all the time. (two story deck) And she was out there making a racket so I looked out there and pretty much just had a odd feeling. So I got my coat and a banana. And had her follow me back down two flights of stairs. And I dropped the banana at the bottom of the steps for her and the two other hens and continued to the coop to look for eggs. But the hen (big red) followed me all the way over to the coop. And was pretty much under my feet the whole time. So I got the egg. Reached down to pet her and tell her bye so I could go back in and after I stood up she lost it. Ran in the coop and straight up the ramp inside. And I just happened to look up and see a hawk not so high off my house just leisurely flying around. And he kept circling my backyard. So I locked my girls up and came inside. I have already had one hawk try to get them and I scared him away. And I had a coyote have a go at them too but he got a few BBs in his butt. So I am still lucky not to loose a chicken yet. But I know its bound to happen.
[/qu. Some people say to feed the crows....yes know its kind of weird. But I have heard that they strangely,attack the hawks. So crows are a good sign! And also if you have a fence around your coop (which you should) make sure the fence in about a foot or more in the ground so rodents and other nasty animals can't craw under. Good luck!

I've got two New Hampshire roos that are 8 month old brothers and they have a flock of 6 Black Australop pullets that are 4 months old. The roos never quit crowing all day long and I finally put two and two together with that and all the hawks that fly around (free range flock). I haven't lost a BA yet, the NH's are extremely aggressive and not family friendly. I was about to turn out some 1+ month old RIR's into a juvenile pen like I had the BA's previously, but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't because the juvie pen isn't covered. Obviously the NH's have the hawks scared but I'm wondering if the hawks are smart enough to eventually figure out the roos can't get in the juvie pen.

Yesterday evening I found a dead hen inside my secure run. She was wedged under the ramp to the pop door. Two piles of feathers; one near the carcass. The head was missing and the neck stripped to the breast. I thought maybe a racoon or mink did the deed by pulling her head through the WWM, but the other pile of feathers confused me. This morning saw a red tail hawk in a tree near the coop, so now think after the initial attack the hen hid under the ramp where the hawk finished the job. I hope my rooster then drove the hawk away. He has never had to deal with a predator close-up and hope he gained some experience. Never had this problem before but I guess I'll need to somehow cover the run now and perhaps pick off the hawk with my .22 if he's persistent.

Yesterday evening I found a dead hen inside my secure run. She was wedged under the ramp to the pop door. Two piles of feathers; one near the carcass. The head was missing and the neck stripped to the breast. I thought maybe a racoon or mink did the deed by pulling her head through the WWM, but the other pile of feathers confused me. This morning saw a red tail hawk in a tree near the coop, so now think after the initial attack the hen hid under the ramp where the hawk finished the job. I hope my rooster then drove the hawk away. He has never had to deal with a predator close-up and hope he gained some experience. Never had this problem before but I guess I'll need to somehow cover the run now and perhaps pick off the hawk with my .22 if he's persistent.
Killing / harming hawk will not be a legal option even in Canada. Look into covering run which will work even when you are not present against hawks.

Back
Top Bottom