Agave poisonous?

chillismom

Songster
Jun 28, 2020
Maybe I’m not googling hard enough but I’m having a hard time finding out if agave plants are poisonous to chickens. Seems like they can cause irritation to their mouths and throats but but not much more than that? My teenaged pullets (about 22 weeks) seem to have eaten a fair amount of an agave plant which they’ve never been interested in before today. What’s most concerning is they ate the stickers off the end. I’m gonna give them some grit to help break it down but I just wonder if this is an urgent issue or not. Thanks in advance!

This is all I could find:
University of California Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources characterizes agave as being mildly toxic. It describes the plant as having oxalate crystals in its leaves, which can cause extreme irritation. The needlelike crystals can irritate a sensitive person or pet's mouth and throat with such severity that it can cause swelling and difficulty breathing. The Merck Veterinary Manual states that agave plant leaves contain saponins and volatile oils that will cause damage ranging from irritation to swelling. Call a doctor, veterinarian or poison control if any part of the plant is chewed or eaten just to be safe.

How are they doing?
I didn't find any info on Agave either. Likely they should be able to process the plant with no issues.
They seem fine, thanks for asking! One of them was a little hoarse for the day after eating the plant but she’s back to normal now. I covered the whole thing in bird netting but I think you’re right, they can process it

Back
Top Bottom