Agdirect.com

Frizzled

Songster
10 Years
Apr 28, 2009
Mocksville, North Carolina
Have any of you guys or gals had any dealings saleing a horse on Agdirect.com. I'm trying to figure out how to tell if someone is legit. or if she is trying to scam me. I keep gettting e-mails that kind of sound like a kid wrote them, but said she was in the process of getting a money order. Guess I will see what happens.

Be very careful of scams. There are a lot of fake cashiers checks and money orders for internet sales. The e-mails are often written poorly because they are being done by foreigners, and English is not their native language.

Quote:
Possibly. You will have to ask your bank. Remember, cash is king and "in God we trust, everybody else cash." If they try to give you a money order for more than the purchase price and want you to give them the difference back, it is definitely a scam.

Quote:
Possibly. You will have to ask your bank. Remember, cash is king and "in God we trust, everybody else cash." If they try to give you a money order for more than the purchase price and want you to give them the difference back, it is definitely a scam.

You can bet I'll have cash in hand, cleared money order before my horse goes anywhere.

It is simple. Just say I do not accept credit cards checks or money orders.

cash ONLY

It is very easy!!!! No one can FORCE you to accept a money order. and Why is someone buying a horse by the mail???
They could go with you to the bank.

Cash only IN PERSON. No MAIL No nothing. Cash and carry.
Everything else is fake

Keep in mind that the money order will take a long time to clear your bank, and if they cash it and find out 2 weeks later that it's no good, they will be taking the money back from you.

Then you will be out of the money and a horse. Be very leery of money orders and cashier's checks. The bank will cash them, and weeks later discover it no good.

Frizzled is right- CASH ONLY.

If they are mailing payment, how are they picking up the horse? Just because your bank lets you draw cash on a check you deposited, it doesn't mean that it cleared. They can take days, weeks or occasionally months to bounce. Then the bank debits your account and you are left holding the bag.

Last year I sold a saddle online. I ended up selling it to a person I know on a Haflinger forum so the check was good. However, I still get e-mails that go something like this:

Hello, My name is Carl. I am much interested in the saddle you are having for sale. Do you have more? I will buy some saddles. The saddle is $400. I unable to get payment check that small to you. I will send $700 check for each one saddle you to me sell. Please then you may send to me back surplus $300 for my extra. Please tell to me if this is agreeable for you. I need saddles and answer very soon.
Sincerely,
Carl

I get a few of these every month. It's a scam.

Back
Top Bottom