Full crop from water??

The_Flock

Songster
Aug 24, 2019
Ontario, Canada
So...I put a pool in the girls run and they didn't want to get in it at all. BUT...they drank so much water. This happens every late spring when the weather goes between not-so-hot to stinkin hot in no time and I put a pool of fresh cold water out. They seem to try to cool off by drinking far too much water. It's not a thing they do all the time and they poop it out. The poop isn't diarrhea, it's a normal looking solid poop with water all around it. One of my girls, Blanche drank so much that she had a puffy crop in the evening. In the morning her crop was back down to almost normal (still a bit puffy but seriously not much) and her nighttime poops when it was puffy were really wet.
So...I'm wondering if there's a bit of yeast building up in her crop. She's 3 years old too. So maybe age is why her crop doesn't feel the same as my year old girls does? I'm also wondering if Monistat 7 would be ok to use for a few days to see an improvement? Or is Monistat 7 one of those treatments you only do when you're sure there's a yeast infection going on?
Any help you guys can offer is much appreciated. 😊

Checking in with you on this crop issue. Your post was back in May, but please let me know how things are going.

I would make sure you’re dealing with sour crop before giving any treatment. Is she eating well? Have you picked her up and checked her weight to make sure she isn’t losing weight?

A bird with an impacted crop usually still drinks, and the droppings will be liquid, usually all white due to the urates and there being no digested food to poop out.

The crop would be squishy and a foul sour smell coming from the bird’s mouth. Please let us know how things are going.

Checking in with you on this crop issue. Your post was back in May, but please let me know how things are going.

I would make sure you’re dealing with sour crop before giving any treatment. Is she eating well? Have you picked her up and checked her weight to make sure she isn’t losing weight?

A bird with an impacted crop usually still drinks, and the droppings will be liquid, usually all white due to the urates and there being no digested food to poop out.

The crop would be squishy and a foul sour smell coming from the bird’s mouth. Please let us know how things are going.

Thank you for responding. I truly appreciate it.
Thankfully it isn't sour crop. Her crop is beautiful and small in the am's now. The fullness is only associated with water and the stinkin hot weather. Yesterday is was redonkulously hot and Blanche was airing out and had a full crop again...but now I know it's water. I put electrolytes in the water on the really hot days and I put out fresh cold water. Blanche goes directly for it when I put it down and I watched her expression. Lol...it was like a kid with a popsicle. 😁 I'm not too worried about her habits because I have noticed her do this last late spring and summer too and she had a great year last year.
Thank you so much for your help. 😊

Back
Top Bottom