Age definitions.

Frozen Feathers

Songster
12 Years
May 4, 2007
Maine
Okay, so when does a chick become a pullet or cockerel? Is there a defined time line, like when a pullet becomes a hen at a year old?? Or so they just get labeled cockerel or pullet when you figure what they are?For that matter...when do they stop being hatchlings?

Mmmm just curious if any one has ever wondered that or if I'm the only weirdo.
lol.png

A pullet is a young chicken, more specifically a hen (female) at least 20-weeks-old which has begun to lay eggs but has not yet moulted. Pullets are more productive than the older laying hens; they often produce eggs for an entire year, while hens will lay for six-to-seven months.

Here is what I found for Pullet
smile.png

Edited to add: Cockerel: A young domestic cock, not older then one year.

Last edited:
Quote:
at 4mths of age most breeds are considered old enough to start showing and also is when alot of vaccines can be given and they can be tested. i go by that as a guidline depending on feathered in and how they grow at 4mths usually they are what i call youngsters or teenagers.

I've always been told that they are pullets and cockerals until they are a year old. After a year of age, they become hens and cocks, or roosters.

That is what I was told, but also they egg producers consider them hens when they start to lay. It is a matter of choice or preference. I like the one year old cut off. But then you have to know when the were hatched and do we really care?

Does age really matter?
gig.gif

frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom