Age for pellets?

Acre4Me

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
What is typical age for chicks to be able to consume pellets as the sole feed source? We have seven chicks that are 8 weeks old. They are now with the flock 24/7, and only have access to pellets. We’ve seen them eating the pellets, just not sure if they are getting enough. Pellets are 20% all flock.

I would think 8 weeks is old enough. 6 weeks really and they should be able to consume pellets. Your lucky yours actually like them. I had a 50lb bag mine wouldn't touch they only like crumbles. I would put out some extra feeders to be sure they get enough to and have access.

I would think 8 weeks is old enough. 6 weeks really and they should be able to consume pellets. Your lucky yours actually like them. I had a 50lb bag mine wouldn't touch they only like crumbles. I would put out some extra feeders to be sure they get enough to and have access.

Thanks! We have 2 feed stations, and 3 water stations, so they do have access. One feed station is less popular, but good for any shy or young birds as they can eat without being pestered.

I've seen my bantam polish chicks that are 8 weeks old eat pellets, they actually break them into smaller pieces then eat them. My store ran out of the crumble we always get and that was the only choice for flock raiser.

Back
Top Bottom