Age gap how long to keep apart?

QuispamChiks

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 16, 2011
Quispamsis
I am looking to mix two defined age groups, 3 sex-link hens almost egg laying age 18 -20 wks and also 3 younger barred rock chicks about 3 wks old.
I will be building a small "safe area" 6 by 2 (under the poop board) with chicken wire divider so they get used to each other but any thoughts how long the transation takes?
We want to be a big happy family!
big_smile.png
Can't we all just get along?
wink.png

Yes, it would be nice if chickens could all just get along. Unfortunately, that was not programmed into their DNA. Chickens are cruel when it comes to outsiders until the pecking order becomes established. Once that is out of the way, peace should once again return to the kingdom.
fl.gif

The general rule for adding new birds to an already existing flock is to wait until the newcomers are roughly the same size as the established birds. That way, they can at least defend themselves. Unacquainted chickens are going to fight, and unfortunately there is not much that can be done about it. It is just in their nature. But I would suggest that when you do finally put them together for the first time that you have the garden hose ready just in case anyone gets a little too out of hand. One quick shot of water should do it.
wink.png

And make sure your divider is sturdy. Angry chickens can be very determined, and I've heard more than once about people doing this only to have the larger chickens break through the divider and severely injure the young ones. I do not want to scare you, but at the same time, I do not want you to be heartbroken either if something were to go awry.

Back
Top Bottom