Age guesses and sexing

cstarkers

In the Brooder
Sep 24, 2020
Canberra, Australia
Hi guys, I got these chicks 2 weeks ago today, and the guy said they were "1-2 weeks old" and wouldn't really eleaborate. Any ideas on age? The only place I can keep their brooder is in my kitchen, and as much as I love them, it isn't ideal, so I want to know when they can go out.

The Sussexes seem to be oldest, and then three of the Plymouth's, and then the back left Plymouth seems younger again.

Guesses on gender would also be very welcome, although I know it's pretty early. I'm thinking front right might be a cockrel, but I'm a rookie
PXL_20201024_000757639.jpg

I think my rocks looked around that size at 4 weeks. Mine went outside at that age with night time lows of 45f, but my coop has no drafts near the floor and I moved their infrared heat plate out with them. What are your night time lows?

The only place I can keep their brooder is in my kitchen, and as much as I love them, it isn't ideal, so I want to know when they can go out.

Moving outside is more a matter of temperature than age.

What temperature are they living at now?
Do they have a heat lamp, heat pad, or any other heat source?
What is the outdoor temperature where you live now? (Day and night.)

Any time the outdoor low temperature matches their current living temperature, they can move outside. Also, heat lamp or other heat source can sometimes be moved outside with them, if needed.

I agree about the front right barred bird (lighter overall feather color than the other barred birds) being probably male.

The light barred rock is male, the 3 dark ones female. The other 2 are too young for me to tell. They look around 4 weeks to me. Depends on how cold it is on whether you can move them outside. I'm in GA and move mine out early when it's warm.

Hi guys, I got these chicks 2 weeks ago today, and the guy said they were "1-2 weeks old" and wouldn't really eleaborate. Any ideas on age? The only place I can keep their brooder is in my kitchen, and as much as I love them, it isn't ideal, so I want to know when they can go out.

The Sussexes seem to be oldest, and then three of the Plymouth's, and then the back left Plymouth seems younger again.

Guesses on gender would also be very welcome, although I know it's pretty early. I'm thinking front right might be a cockrel, but I'm a rookieView attachment 2384770
The Barred Rocks are about 6 weeks, & seem to be Heritage Plymouth Rocks which take longer to feather out. Mine are turning 4 weeks Monday, & are still mostly down feathered.
1603502483104402232842961830864.jpg
Sorry for the light glare.

Forecast is for minimums of 6C, or 43f next week. That's a coldish week for this time of year, it should warm up a lot more over the next two weeks or so.

They won't be able to have the heat unfortunately, I can't get power out there.

I would not put mine through a night that cold without heat. Right now I don't think they would survive. I took heat from mine at 8 weeks.

Last edited:
Moving outside is more a matter of temperature than age.

What temperature are they living at now?
Do they have a heat lamp, heat pad, or any other heat source?
What is the outdoor temperature where you live now? (Day and night.)
I actually don't know how cold it's getting in the kitchen at night. Probably close to the outside minimum, because I'm letting as much air in as I can.
They are under a heat pad, but I'm phasing it out and it is now down pretty low.
Temperatures have been 10c-24c, but next week is a bit cooler, 6c minimums and predicted max of only 12c on Monday. I'm in the southern hemisphere, so they will be heading up if I wait a bit.

From what you and tsperry88 are saying, maybe I should leave them for now and reassess this time next week.

Back
Top Bottom