Age of a coturnix quail?

jackyboy

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 27, 2013
Hi,

I bought 2 female coturnix and would like to have an indication of their age. Any particular sign on the birds to have an indication.

Also, at what time of the day do quail normally lay eggs?

Last edited:
Great question. I have no idea about age. As far as I know, there's no easy way to know, if any, once they reach adulthood. I've raised most of mine myself, or I purchase them when they are obviously juvenile, so I know how old they are.

As for time of day, mine have always laid in the afternoon. I imagine some lines and some individuals might be different, but this is my experience. Also, it's quite normal for quail to stop laying altogether for a few weeks after moving to a new home.

Congrats on your new girls! Post pics. :)

The cold can keep them from laying if they are kept outside. If you don't have a light out for them, you can try putting one out to extend daylight a few hours for them. They look grown up from 4-5 weeks on, so it is really hard to tell. You pretty much get laying eggs and not laying eggs. If you have roosters are they doing their thing? if the roosters aren't breeding and the hens arent laying they are still immature.

Haven't got roosters. 13hrs of light they have and the temp at night is 22 deg centigrade and shoot up to 28 durinf the day.

Last edited:
They don't need roosters to lay, that's an old wives tale. However, though, they do need some time to adjust to their surroundings, or they could be too old

I can start hearing them chirp but the sound is not loud at all. Can barely hear them.

Last edited:
How big are they?
Adult quails should be as big as your whole hand, runts or anything younger would obviously be smaller.
Otherwise, quail should stay the same size their whole life time.

If you just bought them, give them a week or two to adjust, if not longer. They should start laying eggs soon if they're the right age.

Back
Top Bottom