1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Age to switch to laying feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mylilchix, Sep 14, 2008.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens are between 13-15 weeks old now. The last time I was at the feed store the guy there recommended that I switch them over to laying feed at 18 weeks. My younger chickens will 16 and 17 weeks old then. Will it be ok to switch the younger ones to layer at that time?

Thanks, Sonja

2. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    There's alot of different views on this. Some say don't put them on layer until they start laying, some say a few weeks before they are supposed to lay, so I'm confused too. My BO's are 14 weeks and when I bought feed last weekend, the guy at the feedstore said putting them on layer now is ok so that's what I bought. Then I read putting them on it early could hurt their kidneys...[​IMG]

3. gachickeeper

gachickeeper Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2008
    Middle GA
    From everything Ive read and heard I have come to the conclusion that leaving them on starter until they begin to lay is the way to go. I think the extra protein can only help them. Just my opinion.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree start them on layer when you get your first egg. I had some starter/grower left so I mixed it with the layer. My birds did fine and are happy and healthy layers. [​IMG]

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I agree that you should wait to start the layer feed until you get your first egg. Then switch over.

If you are concerned about the age difference and your younger chickens getting the layer feed too early you can give them flock raiser and offer free choice oyster shell in a separate container. That will cover everybody until you can switch totally to the layer feed.

6. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I gradually move them from grower to layer over about a 6 week span of time. I begin by adding a few handfuls,along with starter grit when they are about 18 weeks old. Every week thereafter I increase the amount of layer and decrease grower until just bout 24 weeks old they are on straight layer.

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Quote:

Could you tell me where you read this info, as I have been trying to find some facts to support this statement. I've read this over and over on this forum but noone can seem to tell me of any official studies or experiments to prove this is true. I'm very curious to find out some facts about this. Did you find this out on the net? Could you provide some links? Are the studies done in a controlled experiment and the results conclusive? There's a few of us on here that can't find out the answers to these questions, but we would sure like to know! [​IMG]

8. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I read it on here somewhere but I don't remember the link. I haven't tried it, but you might want to search the feeding time threads with the keyword of "kidney" and you should find several items I'm sure.

I'm feeding mine the layer feed until it's gone and then I'll switch to something else for at least one more bag just to be on the safe side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by