aggresive drakes and ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cw, Dec 16, 2009.

1. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    is there a breed that tends to be more aggressive then others? if so which ones?
    we are getting black swedish, khaki campbells, and fawn and white runners
    just curious on how aggresive these breeds could be (i imagine the drakes more then the ducks)
    any problems with small children as well?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  2. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    I wouldn't say ducks are aggressive. They only time I have ever been some what hurt by my ducks is when I try to pick them up now and my male hates it and flaps and flaps, and a wing to the face isn't that great. My kids are 3 and 4 years old and have been there every minute with me feeding petting and raising all of our animals. The only thing my kids don't like now is if the ducks are so excited about getting a treat they eat out of your hand faster and that makes there bills hit your hand a little harder. Besides that they don't really get aggressive. My female doesn't like my female dog around her and when the dog comes around she will waddle at her quacking and snap her bill in the air at her. That is the most aggressive behavior I have ever seen them do. Besides chasing the chickens when they were little.

Actualy the only thing I have to worry about is there nails when you pick them up. They do have sharp nails. My 3 year old can pick up my female and carry her around like a sack of potatoes and she just lets him.

When you get them just handle them everyday gently and give them treats from your hand and when you hold them and they will learn to love you. [​IMG]

On the other hand I would hate to be a beetle crawling in front of them....then you could see some real aggression come out of them. [​IMG]

3. cw

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    Quote:Great, thats what i wanted to hear my kids are 5, 4, 3, and was a little worried, we have been going through roos like crazy lookin for 1 that would be ok around the kids, and was starting to worry if ducks was a bad choice.
    thanks

4. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    I think ducks are a lot more mellow then chickens personaly. By mellow I mean there reactivity when being picked up and messed with. They don't peck really hard like chickens do. My kids much rather go feed the ducks treats then the chickens now.

My friends ducks have nipped her nose so it can happen but I don't think it is anything like getting a sharp peck from a chicken beak.

I am very excited for you and your kids, they will love them. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  5. cw

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    thank you i hope to post pis when they get here the 30th,
    there has been a buch a people who say ducks are more mellow then chickens

6. pardygwyn

pardygwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    I've had a lot of ducks over the years, but only one who nipped in a way I would classify as hard... and quite frankly, I set myself up for it. When he was tiny, I'd let him sit on my chest and we all thought it was hilarious how he would try to eat my lips while I talked to him. By the time he was a month old, it was too painful to be funny anymore. No more duck snuggles! So don't let your kids kiss the ducks on the lips, and they'll be fine. LOL

Funny memories aside, ducks will never pack the punch that a roo has. I think you'll enjoy them a lot. [​IMG] Just get ready to manage mud!

7. cw

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    ok
    thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by