Aggression Between Two Female Pidges - Advice Please

3bird

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 2, 2017
Rockland, Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Looking for some advice: Our two (married) girls have been together happily for two years. This afternoon when it was time to go back into their enclosure, Pal (female who is almost twice as big) started chasing Pen (smaller female) around the enclosure, cornering her and pecking her in a seemingly aggressive way. They have a nest with two recent eggs (both Pen's eggs, but Pal will probably lay hers soon), and they have been peacefully taking turns on or sharing the nest until about an hour ago. When she's not trying to get away from Pal, Pen has been crouching down and doing small, rapid and jerky movements with her wings (see video below). We've put our arms inside the enclosure a couple of times to break things up, but it's just a temporary halt to the chasing and pecking. We're not sure if I should just let them try to work it out or if we should separate them, or... Thanks so much for any advice.

Looking for some advice: Our two (married) girls have been together happily for two years. This afternoon when it was time to go back into their enclosure, Pal (female who is almost twice as big) started chasing Pen (smaller female) around the enclosure, cornering her and pecking her in a seemingly aggressive way. They have a nest with two recent eggs (both Pen's eggs, but Pal will probably lay hers soon), and they have been peacefully taking turns on or sharing the nest until about an hour ago. When she's not trying to get away from Pal, Pen has been crouching down and doing small, rapid and jerky movements with her wings (see video below). We've put our arms inside the enclosure a couple of times to break things up, but it's just a temporary halt to the chasing and pecking. We're not sure if I should just let them try to work it out or if we should separate them, or... Thanks so much for any advice.

Hi, I was wondering how you and the birds were doing!:frow
I'm not sure what's going on with the chasing, are they still doing it? Maybe try adding a second nest bowl? :confused:

Personally, I would try separating them temporarily and see if that helps.
Thanks so much. It was close to the end of the day, and they settled down it got darker. We kept an ear out for them, but all was quiet and the next morning, they were back to normal. Pal did lay an egg that night, and there were some changes (unintended) in the routine.

Hi, I was wondering how you and the birds were doing!:frow
I'm not sure what's going on with the chasing, are they still doing it? Maybe try adding a second nest bowl? :confused:
It was very strange, but they are back to being the loving, married couple they have always been the next day. They have three nesting sites in their enclosure, but they insist on using just one next and then sharing the duties. :)

Here's the update from my wife (they live in her studio, so she sees it all!):

"They usually get at least a couple of hours out of their enclosure every day for free-flying, snuggling, and water play. Yesterday when they went back in it was getting a little stormy and dark outside (I should have put them in earlier), and Pen didn't follow the usual going-in routine (neither of them like to fly when it's dusky)... On top of that, I think Pal needed to lay her egg (although there are two nests in their enclosure, they usually share a nest), and she may have been feeling stressed about that? At any rate, they were quiet all night, this morning there are three eggs in the nest, and everything seems to be back to normal. I won't make the mistake of putting them in so late again."

Back
Top Bottom