Aggression or just a weirdo?

It almost seems like he was acting like a kid testing the limits. He backed off when I told him no and hasn’t acted weird at all tonight. Guess we shall see

Be careful with this mindset. You are assuming he is "testing your limits" as if he cares what your limits are or what your opinion of him is. He doesn't. He cares about dealing with threats not jostling for "top spot" with a completely different animal/species.

That seems like the starts of aggression, but at that age that sounds pretty normal. Fixing it now would be the best time to do so.

There are two main ways people handle this.

The first, and most popular way is to become the head rooster. Showing him you are the boss puts you in the pecking order, above him. This can work temporarily, but it isn’t a permanent solution. He will have aggression issues for his whole life if he sees you as above him in the pecking order, or if he sees you as a threat. Some people are fine with this, some aren’t. Normally this tactic isn’t used with pet roosters, so if you have him as a pet I would personally avoid it. If you are happy to eat him or rehome him if and when necessary, this may be the option for you.

The other major option is what I personally use. You don’t show any aggression towards him, and you don’t act like the boss. You don’t let him act like the boss towards you either. You stay out of the pecking order, as far away from it as possible. Normally this includes cuddling him regularly, letting him come up to you and eat out of your hand, and sitting with him. Using a gentle, comforting tone can also help. This is the best option to use if you have a pet rooster, as it normally causes aggressiveness to cease almost completely. It does take more work, and some people like being the boss. If you are willing and happy to eat him, this may not be what you want. Acting like the boss and being aggressive is easier, but it’s not a permanent solution in any forms.

That seems like the starts of aggression, but at that age that sounds pretty normal. Fixing it now would be the best time to do so.

There are two main ways people handle this.

The first, and most popular way is to become the head rooster. Showing him you are the boss puts you in the pecking order, above him. This can work temporarily, but it isn’t a permanent solution. He will have aggression issues for his whole life if he sees you as above him in the pecking order, or if he sees you as a threat. Some people are fine with this, some aren’t. Normally this tactic isn’t used with pet roosters, so if you have him as a pet I would personally avoid it. If you are happy to eat him or rehome him if and when necessary, this may be the option for you.

The other major option is what I personally use. You don’t show any aggression towards him, and you don’t act like the boss. You don’t let him act like the boss towards you either. You stay out of the pecking order, as far away from it as possible. Normally this includes cuddling him regularly, letting him come up to you and eat out of your hand, and sitting with him. Using a gentle, comforting tone can also help. This is the best option to use if you have a pet rooster, as it normally causes aggressiveness to cease almost completely. It does take more work, and some people like being the boss. If you are willing and happy to eat him, this may not be what you want. Acting like the boss and being aggressive is easier, but it’s not a permanent solution in any forms.
I agree with you, one of my boys loves cuddles.
If you try to be loving to them they will eventually learn, especially at a young age.
If I get baby roosters, I try to tame them first thing by giving them hands on attention.

Back
Top Bottom