aggression toward new bird.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by atvrider, Jan 18, 2011.

1. atvrider

atvrider Out Of The Brooder

My chickens dont like the new little oegh ive put in the coop how can i fix this? Is it because shes smaller than the rest?

2. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    Sorry to say yes it is! Post pics if you can!!

3. atvrider

do you think they will ever get use to the little hen and quit attacking it? ill post a pic maybe tommorow

4. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    is she a bantam or full size bird?

5. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I never introduce one, always two , and always with a screen in between for at least a week, most often two weeks. Birds are terrible to one another and it's like bringing in a new candidate for a Sorority House, mean, mean, mean. [​IMG]

6. 3littleredhens

3littleredhens New Egg

Jun 1, 2010
    This week I tried a recommendation I've seen here on BYC quite often, Peepers/Poultry Blinders. They only came by the 100ct. from National Band & Tag Co. but were only $13, so I figured I'll share with my neighbor & still have ample for the next 5 yrs. or so. I was VERY surprised at how easy they were to put on. They were the pinless variety. The recommendation was to warm them in a cup of hot water. So I fired up the tea kettle & had the boys bring in the hens I was having trouble with one by one. I was amazed how perfectly the hot water warmed the peepers to where they were pliable enough to put on with just my fingers, no tools. The boys held their hen & I pinched them right on. Within a minute the peepers had cooled right off to where they were firmly in place. So we shall see how this goes long term, but for today - it was a peaceful day in the chicken yard. Everybody seemed to be taking the time to look at each other & checking each other out WITHOUT the pecking & brawling. My hope is to do this for a couple weeks to a month & then remove the peepers once everyone has worked through their hypersensitivity with the new kids on the block.

7. atvrider

Yes she is a bantam and i have her in a cage right now where the other birds can investigate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by