Aggressive 3 wk old duckling

ktduck

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 10, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Hi all,
My khaki Campbell's are 3 and a half weeks old now, and one of them tonight has started to become really aggressive. I have 2 ducklings, and Francis is starting to peck Jennie in the face when she comes near him, they are normally best friends and jump all over each other. But now Jennie is a bit scared and I'm worried about putting them in
their pen together tonight :(
Any advice??

They are at an age where some hormones start to kick in, I think. It is often the age when they become terrified of people (have seen that in my flock).

I would get some plastic poultry fence and divide their space, water and food on each side, and supervised time together till this works itself out. I would also help it work out by providing treats when they are together, supervised.

Zehn used to have the annoying habit of pulling on others' breast feathers when she was about two months old. She has always been more likely to poke at others.

3.5wks seems early for hormone-driven aggression. I haven't seen that here til about 16-18 wks. But at 3.5 wks, they should still be little and fluffy. Do try what Amiga suggested and see if that helps.

I agree with HollyDuckFarmer,
ducklings at that age are usually very peaceful towards each other, especially when they are only two and depend on each other more than they would in a larger flock. Aggressions are scarce and some harmless pecking is the worst that usually occurs.

The arrangements in the brooder, as for example, the space, might indeed be the source of this malady.

Because it's been Christmas they have had to spend a bit of time alone and there brooder is nt very big, I think that could be part of the problem. Last night we put them in a bigger space together, but this morning Francis is still pecking at Jennie. He is much bigger than her too!
I am noticing changes in them that I thought were related to hormones, just different temperaments and they are getting their feathers through now.
I ll try the joint treats thing, and spend most of the day outside with them. I'm running them a bath now so they can have a big swim. Thanks for your advice.

My campbells did that until I increased the brooder size by a lot. Also a red light is better than a white light to prevent pecking. I spay paint my light bulbs.

The two little ducks are much better! I think Francis just needed some space like you guys said!
smile.png
thumbsup.gif
please post pics when you can, always love to see ducklings.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom