Aggressive Barred Rock Rooster

Yes, two are too many, but no more. I was SUPPOSED to have 12 hens. But the feed store says they would guarantee 90%. I ended up at 83%, and they just looked at me when I went to discuss it with them. No more business there anymore. I talked to another feed store who said we would buy roosters back from me. I know where I'm going next time.

Not behavior that should ever be tolerated. And he would pass on aggression to his sons as well, so on to another one who will be smart enough to understand not to attack the hand that feeds him. I have three wonderful large fowl roosters, two of them Barred Plymouth Rocks from two different heritage lines, plus a huge Blue Partridge Brahma rooster who would be a problem if he chose to attack with his size, but he's a sweetheart. There are too many great ones to tolerate the mean ones-those are destined to be soup, I'm afraid. Two are too many with that number of hens anyway.

Yes, two are too many, but no more. I was SUPPOSED to have 12 hens. But the feed store says they would guarantee 90%. I ended up at 83%, and they just looked at me when I went to discuss it with them. No more business there anymore. I talked to another feed store who said we would buy roosters back from me. I know where I'm going next time.

Sexing is more an art than a science anyway. No one can really guarantee anything except that they will reimburse you if you get more than 10% males when they "guarantee" 90% accuracy. But, I get it. Back when I was still buying hatchery stock from feedstores, I got a sexing mistake, but he was a Lt. Brahma. I sold him because he was not in the plans, already had Barred Rock roosters and that was my chosen main breed. I wish I'd kept him now. I loved my Brahma girls from the hatchery so much, now I have a breeding group of blue partridge rooster over six Brahma hens and he's the biggest sweetheart ever. You sure don't want a 15 lb rooster hitting you in the back of the legs!

So I understand this, you hang the bird on the rope and the bucket/coat hanger is used to keep him still while he bleeds out? And to capture the draining blood?

Answer to annoying (delicious) Barred Rock Rooster:

Step one: boil a pot of water, a water bath canner is a good size. Find a 5-gal bucket and a wire coat hanger. Cut the coat hanger on the bottom side so that you can tie it to the bucket handle, leave the hooked end for the beak. Put water or dirt in the bucket, or if you have dogs, put kibble in the bucket. You want it heavy enough to hold the rooster still, ~5 lbs is fine.

View attachment 1104402

So I understand this, you hang the bird on the rope and the bucket/coat hanger is used to keep him still while he bleeds out? And to capture the draining blood?
I use a cone attached to a pole in the garage, low enough for head to be in bucket when throat is slit. Catches most the splatter, especial if you hold onto head while they drain.

Kudos for taking care of the problem...Bon Appetit!

Yes, the rope around the feet, the hook of the coat hanger in the lower jaw, the area the beak makes a v. The cut end of coat hanger to hook onto the bucket handle. These are the things we used years ago in my family. I never saw them (Grandparents) use a cone. The garage had a big laundry tub where the washer drained, good for rinsing before taking him inside to clean. A hose in the yard would do just as well. The bucket does not have to be very heavy, just to stretch him out and it keeps him still while the blood drains into the bucket. Good fertilizer for the fruit trees, or just put water in it and wash it down the drain. I would put it on dog kibble if I had a big dog.

Thanks all for your advise!! Rocky is no more. Skinned him as I processed him. In a Salt Brine in the fridge right now for a couple days. Then I'll figure out how to cook him.

Be sure you let your wife have the first serving of Rocky. Thanks for explaining the coat hanger and bucket. My dad did something similar, but he used a soup can, and it got the job done. Perhaps he weighted the soup can down.

Aart: you process in your garage? I can't imagine that. But, it would eliminate the fly issue. How much of a mess does it make? My last processing job went faster, and clean up was also easier. As I continue, I am getting faster. If I had a way to heat water outside and keep it at the right temp, I'd be pretty fast. A sharp knife is critical also, and hubby and I finally have that issue solved also.

Be sure you let your wife have the first serving of Rocky. Thanks for explaining the coat hanger and bucket. My dad did something similar, but he used a soup can, and it got the job done. Perhaps he weighted the soup can down.

Aart: you process in your garage? I can't imagine that. But, it would eliminate the fly issue. How much of a mess does it make? My last processing job went faster, and clean up was also easier. As I continue, I am getting faster. If I had a way to heat water outside and keep it at the right temp, I'd be pretty fast. A sharp knife is critical also, and hubby and I finally have that issue solved also.
Yes, a 2 car garage with the door open and a laundry sink, a big Sears chest freezer and an extra refrigerator (Beer when chickens were not filling it up). A large cooler with ice water makes things nice, too. Hardly ever park cars in your garage in So. Cal, anyway. I don't think it was any more mess than any other project going on in the garage -- disassembled washing machine, or parts of the weed whacker on the bench! The hardest part was putting away that crap to get room on the bench for butcher stuff, like knives, clean dish towels, I heated up the scalding water in the kitchen. To get 3-4 birds at a time, I put them in the cooler with the feathers on. That gets them wetted down. Then, take them in the house and scald and pick in the AC, sitting down. This gets faster after you get the hang of it. It really only takes ~5 min to get the feathers off the bird. These were Cornish-X, so not too many feathers. When I did ducks, LOTS more time! ~30 min per duck to pick. But, I like duck skin a lot, worth it. So Crispy! Lots of people would skin the ducks. Orpingtons & Rocks have more feathers than Cornish, but taste better! Orpington roosters are the best, I think. I don't care what color the skin is. Some people think they look funny, too pale. They look great roasted! And, keep the feet for the best chicken soup. Peel off the scales after you scald them, boil them with the necks and backs. YUM!

Back
Top Bottom