Aggressive behavior towards new pullets

JBarringerNC

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 9, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
I added 2 new pullets to my little backyard flock today, they're in the same age range as mine.
10-13 weeks old.
My buff cochin rooster has been aggressive lately towards me, but when i added these new pullets today he really tried to show his dominance and claim them as his own!
They're now sleeping outside of the coop on the ramp to the coop's door.

Will it be in their best interest for me to just leave them well enough alone and let chickens be chickens, I'm sure they're just getting rough housed because they're newcomers.

*** But my wife is worried that the Buff Cochin roo will eventually kill one or both of them.. ??
Is this possible, they're within 2 weeks of the same age..

ANY advice is certainly appreciated.

~Thanks

J. Barringer
Charlotte NC

It is usually best to let them work it out as long as there is no one getting bloodied too bad. Are the two safe from predators on the ramp? If so, leave them. IF NOT, turn off the light in the coop and put the new ones inside after dark, on a perch away from the others and make sure to open the door at daylight so they won't be forced to stay close to the others. If you want to try to speed up the process, take the most aggressive of the old ones and separate it for a few days. Them bring it back, you may have to do this several times when another becomes the most agressive in place of the one you remove. Eventually they will get used to the new pecking order and calm down. Just make sure you provide enough room for them to get away from the meaner ones.

Also, if your roo is aggressive toward you, get rid of him. There are too many good roos out there looking for homes to allow a mean roo to stay and pass on his bad disposition to his chicks. IMO

Oh,
And the rooster that's mean.. He would'a been gone A-LONG time ago if he weren't the very 1st Chick of my hatch using my 1st homemade Incubator.. I'm somewhat sentimental towards him, but he better learn who wears the big boy pants ... ME!

LoL

I understand sentimentality, I'm an old softie myself, but the roo will not likely get better. Try this, when you feed, feed him first. Give him the first treats and let him share them with the girls (he may be too young to do that yet). Don't kick at him or try to hit him with anything, that's an invitation to fight. If you can, catch him and carry him around while you work in the coop, that should take him down a peg. Also, the only hope I might give him is when he matures, he may mellow somewhat, but not many do..... best to rehome him before he hurts somebody - wife, kids, neighbors, visitors......

My first roo was a terror with everyone expect me but when he chased the king Shepard (105lb) inside I knew it was time to go. You can't chase the guard dog and expect him to be nice about it.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom