1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Aggressive chicken harming another - advice needed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HorizonChickens, May 25, 2011.

1. HorizonChickens

HorizonChickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2010
    Linden
    We have 6 hens just over a year old -- 1 Golden Comet and 5 Amber Sex-links. Chicken coupe is 4' X 8' with 3 laying boxes (set outside the coupe space) and a 14' X 8' X 6.5' aviary space. Fresh food, scratch, veggies and water are given daily. Here's the issue:

One of the Sex-links (Lucy) is very aggressive to just one other Sex-link (Pearl) -- has been for a few months now. Today I noted that Pearl (the attacked hen) is staying in one of the laying boxes and when out with the others works to stay away from the flock. If she moves much, Lucy (attacker) chases her and pecks her. Pearl has large bare, red spots on both wings - no feathers and while not bleeding, red and sore.

These are my first chickens and I am at a loss of what to do to stop the bullying. I'm afraid that Lucy is going to kill Pearl and then begin bullying the next most passive hen.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Lisa

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If possible put Lucy in a separate pen for a week or so-- a chicken time out. When you put her back with the flock watch all interactions. She may get her butt kicked, and that would be a good thing. If she resumes her bullying, I would get rid of her. You are probably correct about her picking another "target" if something happened to Pearl.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:That's what I was gonna say! [​IMG]

4. HorizonChickens

HorizonChickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2010
    Linden
    Thank you so much. A time out it will be. I'll keep you all posted!

Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by