Aggressive chicks

TJAnonymous

Crowing
Feb 29, 2020
Central Arkansas
Let the babies out of the dog crate today. Made sure I set up some safe zones in the coop and covered run so they could get away from the adults. Other than a few half-hearted attempts to put them in their place, the adults have pretty much ignored them. I think the babies are loving the outdoors... It's their first time outside.

So far, no aggressive behavior at all like I observed inside the brooder.

_Moon_

Songster
Aug 12, 2021
Ur mom's house
So one time i hatched some silkie eggs (Because im a silkie breeder and thats what we do) They were all black exept for one he was blue. Any ways at two weeks old he "Vicously" attacked my had. And when I say "vicously" He was actually BREEDING my hand. So thats how i found out the sex, and obtained a little Alektorophobia. lol

yakitori

Crowing
Jun 22, 2020
New York
Let the babies out of the dog crate today. Made sure I set up some safe zones in the coop and covered run so they could get away from the adults. Other than a few half-hearted attempts to put them in their place, the adults have pretty much ignored them. I think the babies are loving the outdoors... It's their first time outside.

So far, no aggressive behavior at all like I observed inside the brooder.
yay!
Maybe they just wanted a little more space :)

TJAnonymous

Crowing
Feb 29, 2020
Central Arkansas
I haven't been hovering around the coop today but checking on them every few hours. They are currently huddled at the back of the run behind a storage tub nesting box. I don't know if the adults ran them back there or if they were just exploring, realized it was hot, and took refuge to escape the sun/heat.

I'm guessing I will probably need to put them in the coop manually tonight. I doubt they will know to follow the others inside.

Ponypoor

Songster
May 23, 2021
Central Ontario, Canada
I haven't been hovering around the coop today but checking on them every few hours. They are currently huddled at the back of the run behind a storage tub nesting box. I don't know if the adults ran them back there or if they were just exploring, realized it was hot, and took refuge to escape the sun/heat.

I'm guessing I will probably need to put them in the coop manually tonight. I doubt they will know to follow the others inside.
How did everything turn out?

TJAnonymous

Crowing
Feb 29, 2020
Central Arkansas
How did everything turn out?

So far so good. I moved them into the main coop where the bigger chickens taught them some manners. They do tend to bully the younger chicks but so far none of them have been aggressive towards me. They are still relatively young though. We'll see how they do come springtime. If they show even a hint of aggression towards people, they will end up in the stew pot.

Ponypoor

Songster
May 23, 2021
Central Ontario, Canada
So far so good. I moved them into the main coop where the bigger chickens taught them some manners. They do tend to bully the younger chicks but so far none of them have been aggressive towards me. They are still relatively young though. We'll see how they do come springtime. If they show even a hint of aggression towards people, they will end up in the stew pot.
Glad it all seems to be working out! Thanks for the update.

Top Bottom